What's new

Do you post on "national" forums? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Probably a silly question, but I used to post on CNN, MSN, Seattle Times and others. I've started giving up.
As I discovered, you're posting along with 40-50, hundreds and sometimes thousands of other people. What's the point, your post is moved down the list so fast very few people end up reading it.
I love forums like this with a much more controlled membership, where even if your post is ignored (probably because it was a waste of time to begin with), at least you get some type of feedback, good or bad.
Plus the fact that things are thankfully monitored. The rudeness on bigger forums is astonishing, especially when they allow anonymous posting.
This forum, though somewhat edited, is a great place to have available, although I wish they'd bring back spellcheck. Typos happen, even at night with a backlit keyboard.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nope. The comments are wastelands at the news sites. There's no conversation; you're shouting in the wind.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Nope. The comments are wastelands at the news sites. There's no conversation; you're shouting in the wind.
You are so right, can't believe I've spent time composing comments to sites like that.
Waste is the word. Complete wasteland, can't believe I've wasted time composing comments to them, I'm definitely done wasting my experience and opinions on the news sites.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I post here and Reddit takes some of my time these days (and it certainly has its share of issues). The news sites are so bogged down with trolls, it is not even worth my time to scroll down to read anymore. Just a bunch of people saying anything to get people to react. Unfortunately, a lot of the social aspect of the internet has gone in that direction.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
CRyan said:
Unfortunately, a lot of the social aspect of the internet has gone in that direction.
Sadly that's the way things have turned out. It used to be fun to comment on things, share opinions, etc. But the world is filled with spam and disgusting trolls that have nothing to contribute but nasty, negative commentary. Thankfully there are places like this where that type of behavior isn't tolerated.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Political discussions always end up with people covering their ears and screaming "la la la, I can't hear you!". I try to avoid those types of discussions.

The only "national" forum that I tried to sign up on, was Television Without Pity. The only good thing about it, is that there are discussion of more shows that other TV forums may not have. But it seems like it is run by a bunch of thin-skinned assholes, who ban members without reason. Plus it is so damn slow to load up. And their recaps often don't make much sense.

Still, often when people ask what happened in last night's episode of a show, I often refer to that site, as there doesn't seem to be any other site that do that kind of thing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm with you. I have made similar jokes in the past and been warned tho. Even if you consider them to be a joke there are people who take that stuff seriously.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Aside from HTF I only frequent and post on a few pinball-related forums.

Even the "noise" on usenet groups is nearing the breaking point for me. Some folks dislike "moderated" forums, but I find I prefer them. I usually only speak when I really feel I have something to say or add to a discussion, and prefer to know that the time I spend responding is more than likely not going to be wasted effort.

I think it speaks volumes for the overall quality of discussion here at HTF that I've stayed (and continue to stay) around as long as I have. HTF, while still something I enjoy immensely, has taken a back seat to pinball as my main "hobby". My basement HT is "complete" for all intents and purposes, and while I will probably consult the forum when our 32" CRT family room set finally bites the dust, I'm not in the market for any new hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks