What's new

Do you buy used games from GameStop? (1 Viewer)

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I do both. But I seldom buy a game when it is brand new, i.e. just released. I wait and buy it a few months after the initial release, either new or used, when the price comes down. That works well for me since I don't live in the States. When I am in the States, I check out the prices of games that I want at different stores (and on Amazon). If the price is good, I buy. If not, I can wait for my next trip to the States. I've learned to be a very patient person :)

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Sam, I haven't had dial up internet in years. We get broadband at a decent price through our cable company. Just checked my download speed. Right now it's early Sunday morning & I'm getting 4.87mbs. I'm suppose to get 5mbs. Sometimes our internet goes out for awhile, but when it works, which is most of the time, it's pretty quick.
I've had few problems being able to play Uncharted on-line (except being killed all the time. I'm not very good at point and shoots, but I enjoy trying :P )

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Very interesting thanks Frank. Like most Americans I have not much clue what conditions are like outside of here, I would have guessed Honduras was a little further behind than what you report.
The reason I ask is because I wonder how well the transition to day 1 downloads will play in countries like yours. I expect simultaneous releases to ramp up on the next generation of consoles but I have been happy with how much they downloads are almost universally available on day 1 for the PC.
As a PC gamer I will never ever buy a disk based game again.
As a Vita gamer I will never buy a card based game unless it's under $5 and the download is not. I got the one game in my special edition and haven't even taken the plastic off it!
As an Apple gamer, well we never had physical media to worry about. =)
I REALLY hope that this trend moves to consoles in 2013. It's time.
That probably won't stick a fork in Gamestop right away but the writing is on the wall that it's coming. Look how short a time it took digital to kill film.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Sam Posten said:
As a PC gamer I will never ever buy a disk based game again.
Wow. You sure are trusting that
A. You will always have internet access so you can play your game
B. Big brother doesn't suddenly decide your copy is illegal.
C. Big brother doesn't lose your licenses.
D. Big brother doesn't go out of business making all your downloaded games unplayable.
I would always choose a physical disc over download assuming that the game has disc based copy protection. If it requires internet to big brother then might as well download it.
I do have several Steam based games but I would prefer to go back to physical copies and no internet based copy protection.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have a library of over 250 steam games, 4 Origin (EA sucks) and a handful of GOG, Impulse, GMG and whatever else games.
It's not a trust thing any more. It's just the way things are.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I don't do pc games anymore, so I've never downloaded any. But, I have bought and downloaded games from the Playstation Store. As far as I can tell, I can get anything that I want the day it is available in the States. My account is registered as a U.S. account so maybe that is why. I'm not sure what kind of account Hondurans (and central americans) who do not have U.S. credit cards accounts are registered as. I suspect they get what we get when it is available.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I buy new from Amazon only for the most part. I never sell back games because I never know when I may want to go back and play it again. I hate Gamestop although they do have some console trade-in deals at times that make it worth it. I have 250+ Xbox 360 Games, 50+ Wii Games, 50+ DS Games. I'm a video game nut even in my 40's... :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
Wow. You sure are trusting that
A. You will always have internet access so you can play your game
B. Big brother doesn't suddenly decide your copy is illegal.
C. Big brother doesn't lose your licenses.
D. Big brother doesn't go out of business making all your downloaded games unplayable.
I would always choose a physical disc over download assuming that the game has disc based copy protection. If it requires internet to big brother then might as well download it.
I do have several Steam based games but I would prefer to go back to physical copies and no internet based copy protection.
The problem is is that some game companies, such as UbiSoft, require you to have an internet connection for authentication on their disc based games. The first thing I check for on an UbiSoft game is whether I need an internet connection to play the game. The second thing I do, after finding the requirement, is put it back on the shelf. When I purchase a disc-based game, I should not have to get permission from an UbiSoft server to play it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't buy a whole lot of video games. I think that every new game that I've bought has been a discounted greatest hits rerelease. I occasionally buy used from Gamestop, but only if it's a good deal. I went in there about a month ago looking for a copy of Ace Combat 6 for the 360. The game was released five years ago and can be purchased new at Amazon.com for less than $20. All that Gamestop had available were used disc only copies for $25 each.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
in other words "We're going to wait until all this 'download stuff' settles down a bit until we can find a way to totally bone the consumer in a completely legal way, laughing maniacally as we stuff wads of money into our ears."

The last bit wasn't really implied in the article, it was a just a bit of embellishment on my part.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Many used games I've considered you have to buy a code in order to play it online. Thats the main reason I rarely buy used games. Many games I buy are also older so the price difference between new and used is minimal at best, so I pay the extra couple dollars to get it new.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
*shrug* I bought Tomb Raider at Gamestop the moment they said it was available. I have no problem with it. They hire local kids, local jobs, and while I may not like everything about it, that does mean something to me. Getting the game early was a nice perk.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
Did you pick it up in your horse and buggy? =p
Nope, but I had no problem taking it down to my brother's house, who lives in a county in Kansas that has, as it's fastest internet speed available, 256k connections. In other words, it would take him somewhere around 2 days, and break his data cap to get one game ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks