What's new

Do I need special component video cables or will RCA cables work? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I just bought my new RPTV. I have many cable left over from a variety of project. So, I thought I would use some trusty old RCA cables to for my component video input connections. Is this OK? Some of the cables have gold plating and some don't. I will just label the ends so I don't cross colors.
I just don't want to fall victim to cable voodoo.
Thanks.

SimiA

Second Unit
Go out and buy a set of component cables @ Amazon.
They're under $20. You will notice a difference in PQ!
Vb

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Short answer, no. There is a lot more information that travels through a component cable, especially in the case of HDTV signals. Like SimiA said, just go out and buy a set of cables.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
To expound upon Scott's answer, the 75 ohm cables are usually video cables (or "yellow"). So, if you have three matching RCA sets with three video cables it will work. As with anytime you try to save money, it could be better.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Use of audio (red/gray or red/white) cables for video gives unpredictable results. Audio-only cables are likely to cause blurring, ghosting, or in some cases jitter, while audio/video cable sets (red/white/yellow) might have video quality on all three lines for manufacturing simplicity. Marginal quality cables may work with ordinary (interlaced) video but not with progressive scan or HDTV. If you must use an audio/video cable set for component video, use the yellow cable (the best of the three) for the Y.

Unfortunately you cannot tell the quality of a cable just by looking at it.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks