do i need a hdtv?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kirk Pete, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Kirk Pete

Kirk Pete Auditioning

Do i need a hdtv to make use of a progressive scan dvd player

2. MarcianoD

MarcianoD Extra

I do not think so. The progressive scan converts the signal. Some HDTVs do that already so you can have progressive scan without it on the dvd.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aren't progressive players just line doubling? It's 480i on the disk isn't it?

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No wait..., taking an interlaced source and "doubling" it is deinterlacing. Beyond that you are adding more lines of video overall. Doubling interlaced video adds those lines in between the active lines (odd or even), thus not increasing resolution, but sort of "increasing" the lines during any one refresh. Right?

It was my understanding that the video contained on the disc is standard NTSC 480i.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The term "doubling" IS often used incorrectly. Thats why you see a lot of posts saying:

480i - 480 lines of video - Interlace (1,3,5,7,9..)
    480p - 480 lines of video - progressive (1,2,3,4,5..)

This is less ambigious.

All current DVD's carry 480 lines stored in Mpeg2 format. NTSC .. implies an interlace display but it's NOT a format for information on a disk. (They are related - but not the same.)

So strictly speaking - a DVD is not really "High Def". It does not carry any more information per frame than your local CATV/antenna feed. It CAN be progressive if you have a Progressive Scan DVD player, but this is NOT more resolution/information (although it looks a lot sharper/cleaner)

Only when you get a source that outputs 720/1080 do you have more information per frame.

If you look, you will start to hear about experiments with "HD-DVD" or "Blue Ray" or "Blue Laser" DVD's. These are DVD's that store 720/1080 lines per frame. But no existing DVD player could play these. It would need a whole-new player and the disks would not be backwards compatible with existing players.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That makes no sense to me, if my understanding so far is correct. Progressive or not (line doubled or not), is totally unrelated to the video that is on the disc, because the disc is only 480i. Just wanna make sure I'm not bonkers. [​IMG]

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You are not bonkers. It caused a lot of discussion around here several years ago. Is video stored in interlace or progressive order on a DVD?

The answer is: each title can be different.

There is a flag on the Disk that tells a player what order to pull video rows to get progressive-scan or interlace output.

So the physical ordering does not matter as long as the players read the flag and follow the instructions correctly for the type of output it wants.

So it's actually accurate to say that a DVD contains 480 lines of video per frame and NOT specify the order.