What's new

DIY Sub Questions (Atlas 15) (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to start my Atlas 15 project in the next few weeks. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to...

I was going to use a 6" PVC port. When subtracting the port volume from the internal volume do you figure the port as a solid cylinder or just like it is (with a big hole in the middle)? For some reason I got the impression somewhere that you figure it as a solid cylinder...

How long should the legs of my sub be for a downfiring sub? The Atlas 15 will probalby not be flush mounted.

Is cabinet grade Oak plywood ok to use for the enclosure? I'm sure it probalby is, I just wanted to check to be safe.

And one more general woodworking question. If I use the oak plywood should the grain be running up and down or is side to side ok? I'm guessing whichever I choose it should all be going in the same direction?

Thanks in advance!
Troy

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The best choice is Baltic Birch ply it's void free. The sides walls of the cabinet should be 1.5" thick. The baffle board should be 3 layers of 3/4" and the insides should be adequately braced.

The leg length has been ask and answered dozens of times, so a search will get you that answer and more...

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your replies!

I've searched and I can't find a solid answer, I've seen anything from 2-4 inches, or more. And a lot of those answers were based on a flush mounted driver...

Thanks again!

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Troy I have cabinet plans for a ported atlas 15 from ascendant audio. I believe it recommends 6" for the legs. I can email them to you if you want. Its a pdf file. Has CAD drawings and cut list. Its a 6.0 cu. ft. tuned to 18Hz uses 2 4" precision ports.

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
For a down firing sub, the minimum leg length is typically half the diameter of the driver. IE a 15" down firing sub should have 7.5" legs.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

That would be great! Thanks!

email: trrglr at columbus.rr.com (that's a lower case "L" in glr)

sorry about my email address format, but you can never be too careful.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
No, that can't be right. 7.5" is pretty long, that would put an 18" driver on 9" legs minimum. Looking back through my thread, Thomas recommends the minimum being the Vd of the driver.

Todd Nichols

Auditioning
I built my Atlas 15 with 4" legs. No science involved, just wanted a common furniture reveal. It sounds outstanding to me. It is the 8ft3 with two 4" precision ports and a downfiring sub running off of rythmik 250 watt amp. I will post some pics when I can figure out how to.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I've started building my box out of MDF. I happen to have some 1/4" furniture grade oak plywood laying around. Would it be OK to use the plywood as a veneer?

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, Thomas! Is wood glue OK to use to apply the plywood or should I use something else, like contact cement?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you can get even pressure on the boards I'd recommend TiteBond II over contact cement

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks