What's new

DIY Speaker Cables/Interconnects (1 Viewer)

Lucas Hale

Agent
I remember a while back reading on this forum about how to make some high quality cables. Does anyone have any information regarding this? Thanks all.

Lucas,
This is a copy of a post I made earlier today on another message board. Jon Risch also has plans for speaker cables on his site...

For those of you that are DIY inclined or handy with a soldering iron, I would suggest a look at John Risch's site:
http://members.nbci.com/Jon_Risch/
He has instructions there for the construction of interconnects that have been very highly rated on the Audio Asylum's DIY message board (many feel that they easily compete or best the Kimber interconnects as well as many others), and at a SUBSTANTIAL savings.
The instructions are located under the DIY Interconnects Note and DIY Interconnects Pictures. He describes the construction of an unbalanced interconnect using Belden 89259 and a balanced interconnect using 2 89259 cores shielded with copper braid. Canare connectors can be obtained at Markertek, et al.
I'm not one to tweak too much since I don't want to get sucked into a tier of equipment/accessories where subjective improvements are very costly (hey, that's why I own an E9000 preamp!), but Mr. Risch's designs are highly regarded on several audio-related boards. For a little work and perhaps double the cost of the Rat Shack or AR interconnects I tend to buy off the shelf, I can be confident that I have the best interconnect I can obtain without spending hundreds of dollars.
Dennis

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely check out the Audio Asylum, and also this link:
http://www.diycable.com/
They seem to make it quite convenient to order just what you need, otherwise you usually have to get a minimum 100' roll of cable--which you may end up using, but it might be cheaper at first to make only what you need...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks