long sub cable(diy?)

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ben_hunt, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Ben_hunt

Ben_hunt Auditioning

hey all, i need a really long sub cable.

the setup that i am currently using is in my bedroom, my subwoofer is not very far from my component rack as it is, but because i don't like to have cables running accross my floor every witch way I really want to make or buy a long sub cable. i have been to a few stores but living in a smaller town speical orders are necessary. the cable that i need has to be about 30ft long monaural shielded(its running alongside rope light)other than stuff like monster 400 sub interconnect is there any way that i could make a cable out of coax? i currently have just a long piece of speaker wire with an rca plug on the end.

thanks

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ben,

Starting from scratch, yes, plain ol RG-6U cabletv type coax is perfectly fine for line-level subwoofer cble. You can find it all over the world.

The trick is getting SECURE, WELL-CRIMPED connectors. Trying to neatly solder RCAs to RG-6 can be a chore.

Typically an satellite installer/stereo shop can cut you the length you want and use his crimper tools to install F-Connectors. But then you need access to RadioShack for their F-to-RCA adapters (

4. Ben_hunt

Ben_hunt Auditioning

thanks bill.

that is just what i was being told by others.

looks like i have a trip to the "shack" in the near future

ben

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Radio Shack sells white coax with the F connectors pre-installed in 25, 50 and 100 ft lengths. When playing with my new sub position in my living room, I made a 25 foot sub cable for about $12 with the "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors.

Or you can try to make Pro Quality cables by following the instructions on Chris White's web site:A real easy way to make DIY cables

I agree with Bill about the secure connectors and add one more thing: make sure the RCA plugs have a snug/tight fit on the sub and your receiver.

People critize Monster for having "turbine grip-of-death" RCA plugs, but they make their plugs extra-tight for a reason: it does make a difference

Good Luck.