What's new
World Wide Stereo

DIY riser for HT questions.... (1 Viewer)

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I am now ready to build the riser is my HT. I will be putting one couch behind the other. Has anyone out there built one and what recommendations can you give me? How high? Type of wood? Etc. etc. I have left over carpet that I will use on the riser. I am thinking about 12inches. Both couches are very low backs so height is not an issue (also this way my rear center channels will not be blocked).

Thanks for any help!

Michael
[email protected]

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I built a riser as you are describing (I need to fix my website this weekend so I can link a photo). Mine was 9" high. I carpeted it as well... but added walnut trim around the top edge for a nicer look and wear-proofness. For me, the couch backs were not the problem... it was the heads of the people in the front row. Required height depends on screen height, distance to screen, etc. I think you need to either create a drawing or (as I did) do a "test fit". I put the rear couch on wood blocks and had friends sit in the front row and made sure I could see over their heads.

I built mine out of 1" MDF with substantial bracing because it is a subwoofer as well. This works great! Unfortunately, it is quite heavy (~250lb).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks