What's new

Disney Launches Digital Movie Service (2 Viewers)

P

Patrick Donahue

I am somebody who wants to get into digital, but the digital landscape continues to be frustrating as a consumer. With this move, I have to have an Apple TV to watch anything Disney, and a Roku to watch the rest of my UV collection. If Disney wants to do its own thing and not UV that's fine, just give me a chance to watch anything I buy from Disney along with everything else, on one device (and guarentee me the buy and own forvever promise of UV).

P

Patrick Donahue

One thing to add too - when you read how iTunes holds 2/3 of the digital market, even though all physical releases come with a UV only code, it just feels that while consumers might be starting to embraceowning digital, UV vs. non-UV just isn't important to them

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
One thing to add too - when you read how iTunes holds 2/3 of the digital market, even though all physical releases come with a UV only code, it just feels that while consumers might be starting to embraceowning digital, UV vs. non-UV just isn't important to them
One thing to point out though is that all packaging for disney and non disney sell thru in the digital form come with the DigitalHD moniker. All studios have embraced that name and logo.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Disney wants the "keychest" unlockable through either their own app or iTunes, they just don't want to play with UV. Otherwise, for lack of better words, it IS UV.
It's also DigitalCopyPlus, but DCP is likely just one arm of the service, and DMA is the parent service. Otherwise, seems to be pretty much the exact same process, only that digital-purchase movies are bought directly or through iTunes. We'll probably see Amazon and Vudu later.

FWIW, the site's already up, and as an added bonus, not only do you get the free Incredibles with iTunes, it even includes iTunes purchases and the available movies you unlocked with Rewards codes back in the 00's days of DisneyMoviesOnline.
(Although we'll probably get Incredibles 3D this year anyway, so I could've just waited...)

P

Patrick Donahue

While not perfect, the day you can access all Digital HD through iTunes, or access Disney though something like Vudu, so all your movies can be seen through one interface, I will be posting a lot of those dancing banana emoticons on this forum.Alright MGM, over to you...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's what is left unsaid: Disney has put a stake in the ground that says "we know itunes library integration is important, UV screws that up, so we had to build our own system to get around that key missing feature of UV". The question is whether or not the other studios will follow that or not. I am fine with UV continuing on its own as long as future digital purchases have a mechanism to get to my iTunes library without any oversight from UV. I've said all along is what we need is a single code that gets you access to both libraries, I don't care how it happens so long as the consumer only has to enter it once. And yes, I recognize that that will require two separate accounts, if it's important for an individual customer to have an UV library in addition to iTunes I can accept that that second login is a necessary evil.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Here's what is left unsaid: Disney has put a stake in the ground that says "we know itunes library integration is important, UV screws that up, so we had to build our own system to get around that key missing feature of UV". The question is whether or not the other studios will follow that or not. I am fine with UV continuing on its own as long as future digital purchases have a mechanism to get to my iTunes library without any oversight from UV. I've said all along is what we need is a single code that gets you access to both libraries, I don't care how it happens so long as the consumer only has to enter it once. And yes, I recognize that that will require two separate accounts, if it's important for an individual customer to have an UV library in addition to iTunes I can accept that that second login is a necessary evil.
. Studio reps have been reported in the past as saying both Keychest and UV can work together. I'm wondering if and when that link may occur. I agree single codes and not multiple logins are key. Also purchases across both should be recognized.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hope you are right. I am sure interoperability can work, it's the best thing for the consumer but getting there gracefully matters.Also, I can personally confirm that at least a few of the dual use codes for iTunes and UV gave access to both, not just the first one claimed. Bridging the two systems will stop the use case where someone registered the code on their system of choice and then sold it off for the other one. I'm specifically thinking of TV show seasons and box sets here, the codes for those could go for a pretty penny. The more of those codes claimed in the wild by two separate viewers are the more double use codes that propagate when bridging inevitably does happen. So it's to the studios advantage to do this quickly.The thread at Slickdeals has some good info btw, check this post for info on getting your purchases to show:http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=66360034&postcount=14

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, to be clear, if you have prior SD purchases and link your two accounts, it apparently magically upgrades you to HD on those. So its worth doing if you are in that situation if nothing else.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Patrick Donahue said:
I am somebody who wants to get into digital, but the digital landscape continues to be frustrating as a consumer. With this move, I have to have an Apple TV to watch anything Disney, and a Roku to watch the rest of my UV collection. If Disney wants to do its own thing and not UV that's fine, just give me a chance to watch anything I buy from Disney along with everything else, on one device (and guarentee me the buy and own forvever promise of UV).

+1 Its ridiculous that they would make this only work with apple products when ios isn't even the most popular platform anymore. This isn't 5 years ago.......this is why people pirate movies. I'm not about to go trade in my devices for apple ones make this work.....no thanks!

P

Patrick Donahue

I also agree with Towergrove that we probably need to start dropping the terms Ultraviolet and even Disney Movies Anywhere, and just use Digital HD. And when you look at it like that, you begin to realize that everything is more connected than we think. All it will take for me to be happy is for a press release to come out from the other studios saying their Digital HD films are now integrated with iTunes, or you can now purchase DMA movies through a UV provider. One important thing tough - I skimmed the TOS for this... does anybody see if it gives the same inherit promise of these digital purchase effectively being a lifetime license like UV does?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sam Posten said:
Are you guys missing that this will work with any browser?

I can only speak for myself but, who want's to watch a movie on the computer? I wan't to watch on my TV. I also wan't to have access on my phone and tablet when travelling.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I do not think that is the case. Sam, The problem is that, currently, there is no app for Android, and the only way to view the library on an HDTV is to either connect a PC and view in a browser (Chrome or Firefox) OR purchase an AppleTV and link your Disney account to an iTunes account. For portability, currently you can only download to an iOS device, AFAIK.

But here's what I like about UV that DMA does not offer - the ability to share movies across multiple vendor accounts. My redeemed UV titles can be shared with other family members. My father is able to access my UV library under his own VUDU account, and vice versa. Neither of us have to logon to someone else's account to view their movies.
Sam Posten said:
Are you guys missing that this will work with any browser?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Todd Erwin said:
I do not think that is the case. Sam, The problem is that, currently, there is no app for Android, and the only way to view the library on an HDTV is to either connect a PC and view in a browser (Chrome or Firefox)
Hmm, from the OP:
and functions as a streaming movie service when consumers log in to the website on their personal computers or laptops.
Maybe there are limitations due to browsers? Chrome on Android should work, no?If not, and just because there isn't an Android app yet I don't think that it's unlikely. That's the whole point of their 'everywhere' tag. If it isn't everywhere then they will deal with consumer wrath.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's the actual site:http://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/Here's the help section:http://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/helpHere's the gotcha:
What are the system requirements?The Disney Movies Anywhere app is compatible with iOS 7+.Please note: Disney Movies Anywhere will work on a 1st generation iPad but does not offer an optimal experience.The Disney Movies Anywhere website is compatible with the requirements below.Supported Operating Systems:Windows Vista and higherMac OS X v10.6 and higherSupported Web browsers:Safari 5+, Firefox 5+, Internet Explorer 10+, Chrome 11+Required Web Browser PluginAdobe Flash 11.0 or higher installedPlease note: HD playback through Disney Movies Anywhere is available on PCs running certain configurations of Windows Vista+Recommended Internet connection speed for optimal playback support:SD playback: 1.4 Mbps or aboveHD playback: 2.8 Mbps or aboveFor users with lower bandwidth, Disney Movies Anywhere automatically lowers picture resolution to ensure your viewing experience is optimized with minimal interruption.
FLAAAAAAAAASH =( Fing stupid.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Sam Posten said:
Also, to be clear, if you have prior SD purchases and link your two accounts, it apparently magically upgrades you to HD on those. So its worth doing if you are in that situation if nothing else.
This did not happen for me, all the Disney SD movies I had in iTunes are still showing up as SD only.

EDIT: Nvm, I had to turn off "show iCloud purchases" in iTunes and then turn it back on, every thing is now HD.

My kids are going to love this app and it just helped to free up a bunch of room on my 16GB first gen iPad (if the app will work okay on a 1st gen iPad).

I hope you can link your iTunes account to more then one DMA account. My wife has her own Disney account but we share a single iTunes account so that we can purchase an app/movie once and use it on all our Apple devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks