What's new

DirecTV looks bad on my Sony HS500. (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

This weekend I picked up a Sony 32HS500 television. Without doubt, I'd say it's the best looking CRT I've ever layed eyes on. I'm pretty stoked.

My game machines (component and S-Video) look great, as do most cable channels through my Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo receiver (S-Video).

Some cable channels and most local channels have a great deal of artifacting on them. It's enough to (almost) make the Simpsons unenjoyable.

I receive all television through the SAT-60. While I expect a difference in quality between, say, HBO and PBS this is pretty drastic. The same quality issue plagues my older consoles (Composite).

I have heard the DRC chip in the WEGAs causes this. Is there a way around it? Anything I should do to tweak it?

MikeM

Screenwriter
Turn down your sharpness/contrast.

Then, calibrate your TV with AVIA for video essentials.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I have a Sony 36XBR400 and DirecTV. So the question is DirecTV looks bad in comparison to what?

Quote:

The same quality issue plagues my older consoles (Composite).
--------------------

This statement leads me to believe the problem is inherent in your setup (cabling, splitter etc.)not your display.

So the question is DirecTV looks bad in comparison to what?

In comparison to the same equipment and cables on my 12 year old 27" Trinitron.

I run the TV with sharpness turned almost entirely off, and the contrast at about 40%.

JeffOL

Auditioning
I just bought a KP-57wv700 Sony, and also hooked up DirectTV. The picture is 10 times better than regular cable, however I am getting many artifacts in the picture. It is like watching the TV with heat waves rising between you and the set. Kind of this in and out thing going on (very sharp to muddled). Is this something that is unique to Sony with the DRC chip? Is this something that is just more visible because I am on a big screen?

fyi...I have tryed lowering all my settings to almost nothing, while this helps some it still is doing it. Also I have tried the difference between the coax and S-vid and there is none. This doesn't happen while watching DVD's or regular cable, which leads me to believe it is something with the DirectTV signal, but I am getting ~93% signal stregnth. I am disappointed because I love my new tube and Direct is great but they are not working together right now. I haven't talked to the people at DirectTV yet, I don't know how helpful they will be.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Jeff,

I have the Sony KV-34XBR800 I too also have this problem. I watch Direct TV and while a new run movie like Resident Evil on Cinemax looks almost DVD like, other channels appears very bad and pixelated.

I believe this is simply due to the MPEG-2 compression ratio Direct TV uses. I am hoping they fix this in the future but i highly doubt it, without just watching HDTV content.

JeffOL

Auditioning
Dan, Is this problem inherant only to Sony's and the way they decode the MPEG-2 format or is this problem evident in all TV's? A friend of mine has a 53' 4:3 Sony (I don't remember what model) and he is running DirectTv and has absolutely no problems. "Things that make you go hmmmm..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks