What's new

Die Hard 5 in the works (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From what I read, The 24/7 title was for a 24 cross over with Die Hard. But Sutherland nixed it as he preferred to do his own franchise rather then dilute both.

And in possibly the same article, Bruce Willis, who has a cameo in The Expendables, was really excited by the Stallone film and how hard edge it was. So yes, I think Willis is going for the R this time.

I didn't know about The Expendables till I read about Die Hard 5. That film looks really interesting, from the casting to the execution.

Edwin, as for the Die Hard 5, it could be like Bond. After the excess of Moonraker, they come back down to basics and do a For Your Eyes Only type of film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
cafink said:
How do you know it's "boring"? It doesn't even have a script yet!
Obviously. I was talking about the prospect of yet another Die Hard film. The first film was classic. I haven't liked any of the sequels.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Edwin, as for the Die Hard 5, it could be like Bond. After the excess of Moonraker, they come back down to basics and do a For Your Eyes Only type of film.
Well, that's not a bad example. I hope they can bring it back to something along those lines and also recapture some of the humour that arose out of the odd situations and places that he found himself in. Part of what made the first one so good was the "cat and mouse" aspect between the McClaine/Gruber characters. They were never quite able to recapture that dynamic in any of the later ones.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
I wonder where they can go with this series already? The fourth one really wasn't very good. Sometimes the film just felt like a parody of the series as a whole. The major action set piece was laughable.

The writers had written McClaine into a corner that he couldn't logically get out of, so they had to resort to making the pilot stupid. The "Die Hard" films aren't any paragons of reality but what occurred in DH4's major action set piece was just bad writing. It was the Die Hard equivalent of Fonzie jumping the shark in Happy Days. At least, IMO.

I haven't seen all of DH 4, but I have seen the scene you're talking about. I felt much the same about DH 2. People had to act like utter morons to make the film work. That was the ONLY airport where the planes could land? They effortlessly contact the military when the script tells them to, and they just happen to contact the bad guys who are part of the evil plot? Give me a break.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A month ago I spoke via email to Devereaux White (Argyle from the original). He said he might appear in a new Die Hard.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dpippel

I don't plan to. Is this the Die Hard 5 appreciation thread? Excuse me for expressing an opinion.

You admitted you threadcrapped in the first place, but now you're going all First Amendment? /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
You admitted you threadcrapped in the first place, but now you're going all First Amendment? /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
Oh boy. Look, I simply said was that I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of another Die Hard film in a thread started to discuss the possibility of a new Die Hard film. You felt compelled to reply to that comment with a pointless retort. Let's move along, shall we? There's nothing to see here. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Lots of movies have cartoonish, over-the-top stunts: Die Hard 4, besides the freeway sequence, there's the let's-crash-the-car-into-the-chopper bit (implausible but awesome!), there's the invisible car in Die Another Day, the CGI car crash in Lee Tamahori's Kiss the Girls - it doesn't stop me from enjoying these movies. They're popcorn flicks, not high art

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34
Lots of movies have cartoonish, over-the-top stunts: Die Hard 4, besides the freeway sequence, there's the let's-crash-the-car-into-the-chopper bit (implausible but awesome!), there's the invisible car in Die Another Day, the CGI car crash in Lee Tamahori's Kiss the Girls - it doesn't stop me from enjoying these movies. They're popcorn flicks, not high art
One of my absolute favorites is the car/crane chase/mayhem in Terminator 3. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif Completely over-the-top...but I love it!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lots of movies have cartoonish, over-the-top stunts:
Definitely and the original Die Hard certainly falls into that category too. Anyone who doesn't think so, try jumping off an exploding building with a fire hose tied around your waist and see what happens. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Lots of movies have cartoonish, over-the-top stunts: Die Hard 4, besides the freeway sequence, there's the let's-crash-the-car-into-the-chopper bit (implausible but awesome!),
What's crazy is that there is a video online of a car doing just that...minus taking out a chopper. The car hit the tollbooth, which is built like a ramp, and launches the car up and over. Pretty insane.

Add me to the crowd that enjoyed DH4. I liked all of the big set pieces. I just wish they didn't back peddle and tone down the language.

And the T3 crane chase was definitely a topper that summer. I just rewatched T3 last weekend. Best part about it was that they didn't use any music, just the sound of engines and destruction.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The trick is to make the outlandish and impossible look merely implausible and to make the implausible look possible, thereby lulling a person into a willing suspension of disbelief. The stunt in DH4 (mentioned earlier) failed to do that. It just looked laughable. My biggest problem with it was mostly that it required the pilot to suddenly be made stupid in order to get McClaine out of the box the writers had put him in. McClaine's fire hose stunt (although impossible) comes off as plausible because it was derived from a logical mindset: total desperation. He was left with only two choices stay on the roof and surely die or do something mindblowingly crazy and maybe die. The one in DH works because, on some level, people can relate to the idea of doing something unbelievable out of sheer desperation to survive.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That'd be this one I presume. In the film it worked for me. I loved McClaine's daughter too, I hope she'll be back for DH5:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the most outrageous thing about DH4 was him shooting himself through the shoulder. I could accept the car flying into the helicopter, but not that. That scene made me think less of the whole movie, which I more or less enjoyed.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Sorry, I know this is a Die Hard thread but I have to mention one particular stunt in another movie that, to this day still boggles my mind. Like I said earlier, I don't let impossible scenarios ruin my enjoyment of popcorn flicks but this sequence had me in disbelief for a good 15 minutes after it was over. I all kept thinking was, no, uh-uh, no, wtf?. Its the prologue in Goldeneye where Brosnan careens off the cliff while on a motorcycle and "flies" toward the plunging airplane, gets into the cockpit and manages to pull it up out of the abyss and back into the air, averting a sure death! Or maybe what bothered me more was the time it took the plane to descend and not hit the canyon floor. This must have been one of the deepest canyons on Earth!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing about the Die Hard franchise is that the scale of each is grander than the last.

Die Hard: entire movie takes place in one building
Die Hard 2: Die Harder: entire movie takes place in an airport complex
Die Hard with a Vengance: entire movie take place in a single city
Live Free or Die Hard: entire movie takes place in one country

Either a fifth movie would defy the trend and go more intimate instead of less intimate, or John McClane will be trotting the globe this time around.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
"Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!"
One of my two favorite lines from the original, along with "no shit lady, do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For the uninitiated:

**Language alert**

Warning...the song can be a real ear-worm and get stuck in your head for days!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching that complete video for the umpteenth time after I posted it above. It always does three things.

It makes me smile.

It makes me laugh out loud.

It makes me want to watch all four DH films again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks