What's new

Die Hard 5 in the works (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to read this on wikipedia. Excuse me if this has already been discussed. I did a search and didn't find anything.

I was watching Live Free or Die Hard last night. Hadn't seen it in a while. And I found it interesting how so many elements from past films are used here or subtly been incorporated. So I did a search on wikipedia to see the writing and producer credits and I found a entry about Die Hard 5.

So far, they say Bruce Willis is going to star and it will be called Die Hard 24/7. I knew Bruce was really excited about Live Free or Die Hard and doesn't usually really praise a film he's in in case it bombs and comes back to haunt him. But he was really happy with the last film. So I am not totally surprised he's in for a fifth one.

I just hope they do a good job with a storyline.

What I liked about the 4th film is how they replace Holly with Lucy, essentially and this gives John his focus. I liked how the bad guy has his computer geek guy like Hans Gruber did with Theo. This bad guy reminded me more of Simon. The cops here are like the cops in Die Hard with a Vengeance. They are not stupid. Though I like how McTiernan didn't make all the cops stupid in the first film, just the right ones were stupid and the right ones were smart cops.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45415

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as I'm concerned...that's great news. I loved what they did with DH4. And, I think Willis is a very charismatic screen presence.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree. DH4 was an exciting film and I thought it was the best in the series since the first. I just wish it were coming out now so there'd be a reason to go to the theater this summer.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't mean to threadcrap, but I'm *really* getting tired of the endless "reboots/reimaginings/rehashes" and the pointless sequels. Die Hard 24/7? How completely boring.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"I don't meant the threadcrap..." /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif Guess I should proofread my threadcrapping a little more carefully before I apologize for it! HAHAHA!!!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I heard something about this a few months ago. Just found this (and, honestly, it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title):

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/506907/die_hard_5_to_be_a_john_mcclanejack_bauer_crossover.html

Rumours suggest that Die Hard 5 could star Bruce Willis and Kiefer Sutherland. And just what until you see what it might be called...

Published on Jun 11, 2010

The Hollywood rumour mill throws out some bizarre stories on occasions. Over the last day or two, an unnamed source told Aint It Cool News that the title for the fifth John McClane action saga would be, oddly, Die Hard 24/7.
The story goes that Bruce Willis was so inspired by Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables ("He went gaga for it," Sly reportedly said), that it has encouraged him to press on with a new Die Hard film with the harder edge of the earlier trilogy.
Now, further rumours have surfaced that Fox was considering making a John McClane/Jack Bauer crossover adventure, which explains the thinking process behind the curious/shit Die Hard 24/7 title.
It's a plausible story, and the thought of seeing Bauer and McClane's characters teaming up for a joint adventure is an appealing one, but is there any truth to behind the rumours? Only time will tell. More news on this as we get it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hey, Clint Eastwood made his fifth Dirty Harry movie when he was 58, so Willis still has time to make more McClane movies if he wants 'em.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
I agree. DH4 was an exciting film and I thought it was the best in the series since the first. I just wish it were coming out now so there'd be a reason to go to the theater this summer.
I thought I was the only one who doesn't think there's much to see this season. In previous years it seemed like there was a major film opening every week. The last film I saw theatrically was Iron Man 2. A fifth Die Hard would be welcome in my book, especially if they bring Holly back in a story that would bring the series full circle and end it for good.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Die Hard 5, I'm with it, 24/7 with Jack Bauer, not so sure. Too much for me I think. How do you focus on a character, John McClane or Jack Bauer. That's like putting Terminator and Rambo in the same movie. Two major characters, you can't focus but one thing for sure, things are going to blow up and people are going to die.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ That's exactly why there's no chance of it happening. Fox isn't going to turn either series into a joke which is usually the result of doing a crossover. They want to turn 24 into a movie franchise and a crossover is what you do at the end of the road- not when you want to get a movie series started. From Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man to Freedy Vs. Jason to Alien Vs. Predator, the crossover concept usually just reeks of "We're even out of ideas for sequels so we'll just combine both characters and fans will still pay money".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dpippel
I don't mean to threadcrap, but I'm *really* getting tired of the endless "reboots/reimaginings/rehashes" and the pointless sequels. Die Hard 24/7? How completely boring.
So don't go see it...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
So don't go see it...

I don't plan to. Is this the Die Hard 5 appreciation thread? Excuse me for expressing an opinion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Luisito34
I thought I was the only one who doesn't think there's much to see this season. In previous years it seemed like there was a major film opening every week. The last film I saw theatrically was Iron Man 2. A fifth Die Hard would be welcome in my book, especially if they bring Holly back in a story that would bring the series full circle and end it for good.
I think we are seeing the results of the 2008 writers' strike this season.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by dpippel
How do you know it's "boring"? It doesn't even have a script yet!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder where they can go with this series already? The fourth one really wasn't very good. Sometimes the film just felt like a parody of the series as a whole. The major action set piece was laughable.

That business with the truck trying to climb up the collapsed part of the freeway looked like it belonged in a Wile E. Coyote cartoon. I almost expected the roadrunner to show up and go "beep beep" as McClaine's truck started sliding down the slope. If that wasn't enough, they upped the ante by having a supposedly professional fighter pilot position his multi-million dollar jet in a position that allowed a bunch of junk to fall into the engine just so they could get a "money shot" of the jet going down. McClaine was trapped. All the pilot had to do was go up twenty feet and basically rip him apart with the chain gun

The writers had written McClaine into a corner that he couldn't logically get out of, so they had to resort to making the pilot stupid. The "Die Hard" films aren't any paragons of reality but what occurred in DH4's major action set piece was just bad writing. It was the Die Hard equivalent of Fonzie jumping the shark in Happy Days. At least, IMO.

So, what can they do in #5 to redeem this series or is the concept just played out as #4 seemed to suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks