What's new

Die Hard 5 in the works (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really don't get the idea that getting an 'R' rating over a 'PG-13" somehow makes a Diehard film better. And I really don't get the idea that copious amounts of violence can get you a PG-13 but using the word "motherfucker" once or twice gets you an R.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yessirie bob!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally a DH film for grown ups! As it should be. If anything these films need an R rating to maintain consistency of character, it's jarring and weird to establish McClane as the type of guy he was in the first three to how he was in the last one. To go from "Glass? Who gives a shit about Glass? Who the fuck is this!? I'm not the one who just got butt-fucked on national TV, Dwayne!" to "I'm gonna come find ya and kick your ass." makes no sense. From a fanboy perspective I'm of the opinion that a DH film needs to be three things, loud, violent and filled with profanity. :cool:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched Live Free or Die Hard in theaters twice as a PG-13 film, liked it just fine both times, then got the unrated DVD when it came back and have never watched the theatrical cut since. As John says, McCain speaks the way he speaks, and when he gets shot or punched or stabbed he bleeds like the rest of us mortals. The outcome of Live Free or Die Hard was a sort of unhappy medium; they filmed the dialog for the inevitable unrated cut, resulting in an overdubbed and at times awkward theatrical cut. But they shot the violence to pass muster with the MPAA, and then had to use CGI after the fact to try and put the reality back into the up-close violence. As a result, neither cut works quite as well as if they'd targeted an R from the beginning, even though the unrated cut is a massive improvement over the PG-13 version. If they didn't have that identity crisis with this one, so much the better. I really hope that on whatever film they decide to end the series on, they get Bonnie Bedelia back as Holly. Bringing the kids into it is all well and good, but I think there's some stuff in that marriage that needs resolving.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm not sure because I haven't looked that deeply into it but I remember reading on IMDB that the film was shot as an R from the get go, I certainly hope that's true because like you said DH4 felt awkward, the theatrical cut didn't appear to be a true DH film because of the absence of the established language and attitude of the McClane character and the R-rated DVD felt terribly thrown together. I actually would like to see Powell return more than Holly, at this point in time she's probably remarried, who knows?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's one year, he'll be out in time to direct the next DH film. :D That might be just what this series needs, a pissed off grizzled ex-con at the helm. :cool:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Anyone know if the Die Hard blu-ray set that's coming will have an empty slot for Die Hard 5, the way the James Bond box set had a slot for Skyfall?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That'd be nice if it did, if it does I'm selling my old BD set and getting this one. It would also be nice if the original were remastered but it's not a deal breaker if it isn't. I plan to attend the all day marathon of the first four and the premiere of DH5 on the 13th/14th, I sadly missed out on the original in theaters (was more into sci-fi and horror then) and have always regretted it, time to set things right. :cool: Might I just add that I'm thrilled this is coming out on Valentines day, nothing like gunfire and explosions to drown out the existence of that inane "holiday" lol.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know another box set was coming. I did a very quick search for info. I didn't find much. Just rumors that the first film has a 4K restoration and that Hart Bochner had recorded his part of an audio commentary. I would hope the fourth film is released unrated if there is another box set. I thought the last blu ray set was a good looking release. This has been released so many times on so many formats now!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, and I've owned every film except DH4 multiple times on each format, VHS (lost count of the various individual cassettes and box sets), Laserdisc (twice), DVD (twice) and BD (once...so far lol).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
LD DTS editions, the 2 DVD box sets, and Die Hard 4 on DVD, the Unrated Edition and the BD set.:) I think you have me beat. I never got the VHS editions, opting for LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks