What's new

Denon 1600 ownere - any complaints? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am looking for a new DVD player right now, and since the RP-82 is not available (though I have found XP-30s locally) I am considering the 1600 based on the Secrets of HT shootout. Just curious to hear from actual owners if there are any idiosyncrasies I might want to know about?

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
My only complaint is I wish it had a back-lit remote. It is a fine piece of hardware and I have been enjoying it now for about 6 months. DVD-A is also very fine :emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I won't use the remote that comes with the unit, once it is programmed into my system remote, so that's not a big deal. :D Thanks.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
The thing I hate most about the Denon 1600 is that you can't turn off the LED display on the front of the Unit, you can dim the display but not turn off. I like to turn off all the displays on my equipment while watching movies.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Like the picture and sound. The remote isn't that great, but you won't be using it. Wish it did some of the little things such as giving the time remaining on a disc or that it had some sort of zoom feature like the Toshibas, but the good outweighs the inconveniences here.

Jason Pugh

Agent
I just bought mine online for $412 shipped and so far I really like it but I just hooked it up yesterday. One thing that surprised me though was to see the exact menu system as the Panasonics (even the "Welcome to DVD World" or whatever that scrolls across the unit when first turned on). It gave me a weird feeling like I just paid an extra $100 or so for a Panasonic that they just removed the name and put Denon in its place. Still, I couldn't find a Panasonic RP82 so this was the choice for me. I know I might could have found it for cheaper but I thought this was a good deal considering I would have bought it from Tweeter for $499 PLUS Tax.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Jason
Where did you get it online? There is a note on the Denon website that talks about not getting a warranty unless you buy it from an authorized dealer or website. There was also an issue about getting units that have their serial numbers messed with.

None of the "authorized" websites were < $499. The cheaper websites mentioned nothing about the warranty. Did you get a factory warranty with it?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I quite like mine as well. It has better DAC's then the Panasonics but if you're not using it as a CD player that won't matter much.

Roger Li

Grip
I've had mine for about a week, and like it very much so far. The picture is excellent, and so is the DVD-Audio performance. I bought if from a local authorized B&M, who gave me a 10% discount off MSRP. I know I could have found it for less on-line, but I want a full warranty, and the local dealer gave me a loaner DVD player while the DVD-1600 was on order.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I am looking at trading my Rp-82 for a new in box 1600. I use DVD-A quite abit and do not use prog-scan. So I am following this thread.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Has anyone compared the DVD-Audio dacs of the 1600 to the RP-82? Redbook quality is not important as I like my SCDC222ES SACD player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I won't be using this player for redbook CDs either, and I am not really concerned about DVD-A playback, though I won't complain at having the capability.

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I also bought my 1600 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. PQ is great and the sound from DVD-Audio is also great. I got it for 10% off at Ultimate Elec. as I also wanted the full warranty. The only thing I don't like is what is mentioned above. No backlight on remote or even glow in the dark buttons, and no time remaining on disc function. Other than that I love it.

My .02cents

Matt

Peter Loan

Second Unit
How does the audio only/video shutoff function work with DVD-Audio seeing that the menus on these discs are designed differently. One of the reasons why I prefer SACD over DVD-A is not having to fire up the TV whenever I want to listen to a disc.

Dan, good luck. The people on this forum are quite well informed.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Is there any kind of zoom function(waiting for widescreen people to all freak at once:D )
Could'nt find one at the Denon site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks