What's new

Def Tech Supercube 1 (2 Viewers)

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Tom
Understand what you are saying.
Funny how leap can tell you one thing and the mic and scope tell you a whole different story. The 15’’ driver is a bug too. The truth be told, I never cared for 15’s always liked 12’s better. 18’s are a whole different animal.
At some point you have to move more air. Only way to do that is increase the cone area. Although some here would suggest that the laws of physics has been altered. Hmm, wonder what a dali Sub would sound like, I know what it would look like :)

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin
Please go back to the post and read it again. I think you may have missed the point and some words.

My personal opinion about Deaf Tech speakers is just that, My opinion. I do not care for them. Other do, not my problem.

As to what speakers I would recommend to people, I never recommend any.
I will give someone information on speakers, if asked what I do or do not like about a speaker. It is up to the person who is purchasing speakers to decide if what they hear is good or not.

Tom Listed several sub-woofers available from a number of retailers that are documented to perform at levels above the supercube.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Tom Listed several sub-woofers available from a number of retailers that are documented to perform at levels above the supercube."

Yeah, and alot cheaper.. !

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
I work at a company that carries Klipsch, Sunfire, Boston, Martin Logan, Definitive, Boston, and a few others. I wish not to disclose the location as I have helped several forum members with nice discounted purchases and want to be able to continue to do so. Do I think an SVS would sound better, if I heard it i am sure I would a viable option to the masses, probably not(as of yet) but coming on strong that is for sure.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe,

I have no idea where that garbled text you are quoting came from? Here is the way my text was typed and is showing up on my screen(hopefully it won't garble again?).

"I know onecall has the SPL1200s *B*stock every once in a while for

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Tom, sorry for the confusion. I'm using an ad blocker (AdSubtract), and for some strange reason it completely mangled your response. I've never seen it do that before.

EDIT: It looks like AdSubtract was confused by the "

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
That WAS weird :)
When I first read your copy of my text..I thought "my god, was I THAT tired last night?"
TV

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Tom (or anyone else who might know),
What has been the outcome of Carver suing everyone who makes a teenie sub?...........

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I doubt anyone considering a "supercube" will consider a large cylinder in the room...at least I HOPE not. The only reason to go with something like the supcube is if that is the only way the wife will let a sub in the room at all.
(Now that I've got Tom's message descrambled, I might as well respond to it. :))
Tom, I'm one such person who is considering the SuperCube 1 and also considering your SVS subwoofers. There are two factors involved in my decision:
I don't doubt that SVS subs play louder (and probably deeper) than the SuperCube 1. However, I live in an apartment, and I don't play movies very loud. It's more important to me that a subwoofer play accurately than extremely loud.
Even though I'm single, the appearance and aesthetics of a subwoofer are still important to me. That's the main reason why I'm considering the SuperCube 1 -- because it would visually match my other Def Tech speakers. Judging from the photos I've seen, SVS subs look rather ugly by comparison, but that's my purely subjective opinion.
I'm willing to pay more for a better-looking speaker, but only if it meets my performance needs. If I cared only about appearance, I would've already purchased the SuperCube 1. If I cared nothing about appearance, I would've already bought an SVS sub. My feelings lie somewhere in the middle, which is why I'm still considering both speakers -- and why I want to read reviews of the SuperCube 1. I hope that makes some sense to you.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Joe, the Supercube 1 does not go as deep as a good larger subwoofer and also has much much higher distortion. On both counts, it is significantly less accurate than an SVS at any volume level.

For someone like you who places importance on both appearance and performance, there are some other options you may want to consider. What is your budget?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Joe, you may want to consider contacting Kyle Richardson of Acoustic-Visions (Link Removed). For $1200-1400 he would probably be happy to build you a very nice looking subwoofer in exactly the size and shape you want. Actually, at that price you may be able to afford an Adire Tumult driver which would be really something.
Viable commercial options for a high-quality, non cylindrical subwoofer would include the largest Sunfire, the Paradigm Servo-15, the Adire Dharman/Rava (or a pair thereof), the Hsu VTF-3, and many others I'm not thinking now. However, I tend to think better performance will be achieved through DIY or rather HSEDIY (have someone else do-it-yourself).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe,

If the supercube2's numbers are indicative of the product line(supercube1)...I would pass. You are basically looking at the output of a $200-$250 subwoofer wrapped in 100k worth of marketing and sold for $900 imo. I have already listed about a half dozen options

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
If the supercube2's numbers are indicative of the product line(supercube1)...I would pass. You are basically looking at the output of a $200-$250 subwoofer wrapped in 100k worth of marketing and sold for $900 imo. I have already listed about a half dozen options

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
FWIW, I think Definitive Technology subs are the worst I've heard when compared to Polk Audio, Velodyne, and (gasp!) even the Yamaha Servo Controlled line.

I own a ProSub100 and a PF15. Both of them are simply NOT accurate. They simply produce bassy notes out of sync with the rest of the music, have the dreaded "one-note" bass syndrome, the ProSubs have so much port noise it's audible, and they tend to make all sorts of funny noises when driven hard.

OTOH, I found the Yamaha Servo Subs to be a lot more accurate and pleasant sounding, and the Velodyne to be a lot more powerful and accurate than both of them. For the same price, or less.

The theory behind the SuperCube seems to be similar to the one behind the new Velodyne line (come to think of it, they look identical). I have only heard the Velo, and it sounds simply beautiful, although it lacks dynamic presence (I heard the 8" version). I'd suggest an audition before buying for the SuperCube, since I have had nothing but bad luck with DefTech subs.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Link Removed
Here's yet another . Perhaps this sub is the real deal. Yes it is expensive but if it performs as these reviewers say it might be worth it. For the record I own 2 SVS 25-31CSi subs.Perhaps someone should actually audition the sub before dismissing it as hype.

Keir H

Second Unit
Def Tech pays CNET also? :) I have to second the rec'd for the Velo SPL 1200/1000...and yes, (gulp)I am a former Def Tech owner, however never heard the cube...have a SVS 22-31CS now.
Yeah, I know this is a late reply.....so what did ya get Joe?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks