What's new

Opinions on Lava LSP12 (1 Viewer)

dreamtraveler

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a few weeks while researching for a replacement sub for my family room (16' x 20' with 20 foot ceiling). My Def Tech Supercube III died (again) and I decided not to get it repaired again since it just doesn't provide enough bass for my room. I've been looking at upgrading to a 12" subwoofer instead. I want to keep the cost below $400. I've been looking mainly at BIC PL-200 and Lava LSP12 due to price and bang for the buck. I am about 99% decided on the Lava due to the fact that it's about 1" less wide and should still fit next to my entertainment center a little better than the PL-200. However, I am not finding too many reviews from actual owners or people who've heard the LSP12. Is this a good choice? Will it be as good, if not better than my Supercube III? Thanks, Joe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this a good choice? Will it be as good, if not better than my Supercube III?
It's like comparing apples and watermelons. The Def Tech has a 7.5" driver while the Lava has a 12" driver. That's twice the cone area and based on the looks of the Def Tech driver at least the same amount of excursion if not more. Since bass is about moving air, the Lava will definitely move more air. Plus the Lava is ported which makes it more efficient. The Lava is still on the budget side of subs. Based on the specs and the reviews I've read at other forums, it is a great value. Remember to call and get the HTF discount code.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The supercube is a small sealed sub. The main selling feature being small size, not output, so if you have anything over a small room, it typically isn't going to cut it. The other significant factor is: how big is your room? Along with what Ed mentioned, you may want to consider a ported sub that will give you more extension and likely more output as well (depending on the sub) in a less costly sub. I haven't heard a Lava, but they've gotten a lot of good press recently. At $400, options are somewhat limited, but I'd also say give the Cadence CSX-12 MkII a glance - it has good output to 25Hz and will still have usable output down to 20Hz. It will be over $400 shipped, but it has plenty of output. Another that comes to mind would be the HSU Research VTF-1.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt
If you are still looking for a subwoofer, I am selling my Dual Lava LSP-12's for $400 plus shipping. They are in mint condition mechanically and structurally, the only blemish is that the grills aew dirty from the kids. The only reason i am selling them is to upgrade. You can email me at [email protected] if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks