What's new

deep space 9 question ? (3 Viewers)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jimmyjet said:
thanks for not spoiling it. while i have seen some episodes from original airings, i cant say that i recall anything at all.

no scenes from any of the episodes are bringing back any dejavu for me.

i was gonna comment and forgot, until you posted.

but in one of the episodes there was a character with the last name of hertzler (i recalled that being martok). but his first name was different. it might have been mark ?

and i was guessing that might have been a son ?

yea, just like brunt and weyoun - pretty good acting from one person !!
Yeah, as Martok, he was listed as JG Hertzler, but in Chimera, his credit was Garman Hertzler (what do you think the "G" stands for?). And, of course, when he appeared in the pilot, he was John Noah Hertzler. They played with credits like that. Robert O'Reilly used the name Bobby Reilly in Badda Bing, Badda Bang, and then there's the whole Siddig el Fadil/Alexander Siddig thing, but when he directed he went back to Siddig el Fadil...

The former Trek actors directing came about because a lot of them got their start directing TNG, or going through the "director's school", where they let the actors shadow established directors and eventually direct an episode of their own if they so desired.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
2 interfaces that i especially like are julian with miles, and julian with garak.

miles and garak are somewhat naturally sarcastic.

julian is not normally so. but he gets in his jabs with these two.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
inter arma

that was a very cleverly written show

i dont think anyone could have figured out everything that was going on, beforehand.

i never suspected any of the conversation between ross and bashir - except that i did recognize that ross recovering from an aneurysm so quickly seemed a bit odd.

and the conversation between sloan and bashir at the end, was a surprise for me.

sorta brings to light the old phrase about "what tangled webs we weave".

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
til death do us part

the conversation between ezri and worf had me laughing - they did a good job.

i think my favorite line was when ezri said there was one good thing about landing. they would have time to talk !!

i dont see her and worf getting together. but i suspect they knew there was not enough time to develop something new with anyone else, as the show was coming to an end.

i got to see what dukat actually looks like.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
strange bedfellows

sorta like a part 2 of death do us part

when sisko had his vision, i wondered if maybe it was the pahraites trying to trick him ?

but they did use his mother. so while i am not positive, i think it is the real prophets.

but when kai winn had her vision, i knew that must be the pahraites. the prophets would never visit her. and i did nail that one, at least.

dukat's voice has not changed at all. while i dont think kai winn had enough contact with dukat that she would know, any of the rest of the characters would know immediately.

so they cant have him be with anyone but winn, if they want to keep it realistic.

i always thought that ezri had a thing for julian !! and vice versa !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
changing face of evil

good episode

the cardassians learned why you dont make deals with the devil

although they seemed to jump the ship with kai winn.

all of a sudden, she is studying the pahraites, with no real mention of it, that i can recall.

also, "dukat" got strong too quickly. if it was more actual, he would have stayed more humble and in the background.

the breen noise is irritating. i wish they would have them speak intelligibly.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
when it rains

boy, these shows sure have lots of spins to them.

creative writing.

now ezri is "trying" to tell julian that she loves him.

i dont think she will end up with anyone - not enough time left.

but julian is who she is best matched up for. in fact, jadzia and ezri do have similar types of personalities.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
sbv

the talk ezri had with worf was key

martok and demar have both evolved into fair and caring people, who truly have goals of peaceful coexistence.

too bad real life doesnt work this way !!

i realize that this is just a show, but one thought continues to come around - for all the technology gains these peoples have made, they have not improved themselves a bit.

instead of shooting with rifles, they are shooting with phasers - no real improvement in the many vices, such as greed, that are part of us.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i finished - great show

funny - all this time, and absolutely no recall of anything UNTIL

odo parts from kira with his tuxedo on - that brought back vivid memories for me.

so i did see the end of the series during its original run.

it makes me wonder just how much of it i saw ?

i was no longer watching tv on a real regular basis, but i am surprised i had no memory of anything else.

it had a real good ending - tied up all loose ends, and a feel good for the viewers.

and julian got ezri at last - LOL !!!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
that's right - he and odo linked.

i think we can safely assume that odo (now in charge and educating the founders) will recall the other "babes" sent out in the wilderness.

the producers had to shorten stuff up at the last.

i think they could have made it a 2-part episode enticing section 31 to come over, get the cure, and then cure odo with it.

instead, one episode ends with miles and bashir mentioning the plan. and the start of the next episode, bashir is telling odo that he appears to be cured. so no real amount of time at all was used up for that.

there were several other things that i dont present recall, that were solved with that sort of plan - mention what is gonna happen, and then just pretend it happened just like that !!

i definitely see odo spending some time with the changelings, to educate them, and visit them a lot. but i dont see him leaving kira. the way they left it was that perhaps odo might return, but he was gonna stay with the changelings.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
never even heard of the trek novels !!

who is "they" ?

i am understanding you to say that someone started writing a book about ds9, where the tv series left off ?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
btw, i am not a trekkie. have never gone to a convention.

and dont really have any hero-worship factor about any of the actors.

i mainly like star trek for the stories it tells, and how it relates to the human equation.

and of course the various characters. you cant have a story without characters in them !!

i havent seen enterprise yet, but have now watched the other 4 treks in their entirety on dvd, within the past couple of years.

and i think of all of them as top-notch shows. and tng, ds9, and voyager all have the same sort of quality about them as tos did, regarding characters and stories.

the main difference i see about ds9, when compared to the other three is that ds9 is not as "star-driven". the 3 spaceship shows all centered around a few main characters.

while avery brooks is probably considered to be the main star of ds9, the whole cast was much more evenly distributed.

and then you go to the "non-regulars" - gosh, garak and dukat were quite important in ds9.

after kirk, spock and mccoy - the rest of tos could have easily been replaced. they were not that essential. picard and data in tng. seven, doctor and janeway in voyager.

i think this may have had something to do with ds9 being the least popular of the four. it did not have the blockbuster stars that people like. just look at the movies, and how they have always tried to have film with stars - actors that people see, simply because of their name.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i finished up all the special features.

we had talked about the rushing of tying up loose ends -

one of the producers said it was very important for them to tie up those ends. and i recall rick berman saying that he would have liked to have had 5 episodes to do so, instead of the 2-parter.

that being said, they did a pretty darn good job of giving us a feel of what happened to the characters.

i also enjoyed listening to the actors talk. apparently avery treats cirroc like a son, in real life. so no wonder he was important to him on the show.

of all the actors, i thought quark was an exceptional person - someone worth meeting and having a nice discussion with. not that the other actors werent nice.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of interesting DS9 eps from earlier on that I've always liked.

From Season 2, there's "Necessary Evil" - a flashback that shows what Kira was up to during the occupation. The closing scene is to my mind the best one in the series between Kira and Odo. Sadly, they tried to revisit this in a different way later on, and I think diluted the impact of the original, better episode.

From Season 3, there's "Civil Defense", which I admired for its cleverness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks