What's new

Dark City Director's Cut in 2006 (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
So, he's shooting additional material? I don't quite understand. Can someone clarify? I liked the film a lot, but I do think that the editing was way, way ADD-crazed and I'm not at all surprised that Proyas wanted more spaciousness in there.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

This is a point where we see a lot of hypocrisy. There are those who will clamor and pump their fists in the air saying that "we must have the movie the way it was presented in the theaters" yet, those same people will proclaim that they must have the director's cut of films because they feel it is the only way the film should be seen. Let's get some consistency here.

Myself, I would love to see the director's cut as long as the original theatrical version is on the DVD as well. The DVD format allows a filmmaker who has to battle the studios for his/her version to become the auteur that he/she wanted to be in the first place. Why not use the format to placate everyone, fans and filmmakers?

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
I will mute the VO every single time I see it! If the movie plays better without the VO, why would I want to listen to it later just because I already know what happens? When I watch a movie I own, even though I know what happens, it still becomes a new experience for me. In a mystery type movie, I want to watch the story unfold and learn the facts as the main character is learning them. A good movie will have me experience the characters emotions at finding this information out for the first time. The Dark City VO destroys the whole mystery of the movie. When watching John wake up in the bathtub not knowing what the heck is going on, just like the first time watching the movie, I don't want someone to tell me the whole story before the action even starts.

I am not sure if anyone watches those NFL or NHL DVDs that they put out at the end of the season for each team. There is a little introduction part in the beginning of each of these that shows a little "summary" of what is on the DVD, then they start at the beginning of the season. I have the Red Wings DVDs of their 3 most recent cup wins, and I can't watch the beginning into for any of them. I want the excitement to build over the course of watching the DVD until they show the cup ceremony! Of course I know what is going to happen already, but I get to watch the season/story unfold for the first time all over again!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well it's not quite so black and white for most people.

I think those of us who are excited over the new cut do not in any way want to discredit the original theatrical cut. I would even like it to be on the new DVD if it's an improved transfer. It's not an either/or situation for me. I'm glad the original is out, I'd love to see the new cut.

I am not a fan of "Original Version" vs. "Director's Cuts" - I'm a fan of film, and more specifically in this case, THIS film, and I want to see it in whatever form Proyas presents but am glad that the original still exists, even if I find the new cut superior. (this is a marked difference from a certain space trilogy whose maker now wants the original versions wiped from everyone's memory)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I really like this movie, but I'm not a big fan of the voiceover. Unless its an integral part of the storytelling and conceit of the film (a.k.a. Royal Tennenbaums), voiceover should be avoided, especially when it serves as a crutch to get JSP "caught up to speed" in challenging narratives.

That said, I think Harrison Ford's voiceover in Blade Runner fits into the "casual private detective voiceover" convention, which is a staple of noir and fits into the cinematography and (osensibly) into the genre. That's probably why some people still like it, and why it doesn't completely ruin the film for me. That said, I might be one of the only people I know who prefers both the darker ending to Blade Runner AND the "Deckard is not a replicant" angle, which taken together concentrates a simple, powerful message about mankind learning too late about its own morality and humanity from its non-human creations -- a heartbreaking message which is sapped of power if humanity is not truly represented in our hero. I think it comes down to people finding the "twist" to be somehow more "bad-ass". I see dead people!

Anyway, yeah, this is a Dark City thread, huh? I should mention that I thought the "shift" late in DC to a special-effects action extravaganza - slash - romantic melodrama was a bit much, and I hope some scenes temper this shift a little. While it stays true to the redemptive message of the film, I still see studio hands all over the finale.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well it's 2006...is the DC: DC here yet? :D

Seriously though, anyone hear anything about a possible concrete release date?

BTW - I messed up the "Fight For The Title" story in my post on the previous page. It went like this:

1. Dark City was considered to be too close to Mad City (WB movie, parent of New Line). Changed to...
2. Dark World. Spielberg's estate threatens legal action: too close to Lost World (Jurassic Park 2). Changed to...
3. Dark Empire. Lucasfilm threatens legal action: too close to Empire Strikes Back, Dark Side of the Force, and the Dark Empire comics made about the Star Wars universe.
4. Mad City bombs.
5. Original title of Dark City approved.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
DC on Starz? Huh? I saw it on Starz HD and it was the theatrical cut, complete with stupid opening narration.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
The opening narration never really bothered me. While it's happening there's some fantastic visuals going on and I think most people just kind of zone out. I sure wasn't listening that closely the first time I saw it in the theater.

I really hope the director's cut doesn't ruin the pacing. I have faith in Proyas but you never know.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
Please DTS 6.1 and no VO please......
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks