What's new

Dark City Director's Cut in 2006 (1 Viewer)

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
But is the original cut going to be included? While a new edit of the film is fine, I wouldn't want the original version of the film supplanted since I feel it is fine as is.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering the original is already out on dvd and not going oop anytime soon, I'd say no.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski

Thats my feeling as well, but I consider it a shame because a) the original cut is great, b)the original DVD is from 1998 and could unsurpisingly stand an upgrade, c) I could be wrong but I don't believe the film is on Blu-Ray before this, so the idea of the directors cut supplanting the original makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

I smell multiple releases down the road, but I'm going to hang on to the original just in case.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Heads up...for those purchasing in standard def, the Director's Cut disc does NOT contain the original cut. It's just the longer cut, plus the new extras and expanded commentary tracks. So hold onto your older discs if you want the theatrical version.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah there was some misinformation from DVDTimes indicating both would be included but that is not the case. Personally I don't care since I own both.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well here's a funny little error I found in DVDTalk's review of the DC.

Ummm unless the critic's copy of the old 1998 release is somehow different from MY copy of the old 1998 release, then he's full of crock since there IS NO Isolated Score on the previous dvd.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
OK, so big hugs going on to the first viewer who gives us a wordy description of the new cut
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
or linkage, for that matter...

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Just watched this (on standard def...I'll get a Blu-Ray when I get a computer that um, has a Blu-Ray drive). This, for me, is one of those fantastically visionary films that is chock full of so many amazing visuals and ideas that it can't be ruined.

And it hasn't been...but if I had to choose, I'd choose the theatrical cut over the DC. Simply for the same reason I always do, and that is that the re-editing of a film to include new material and new changes years after the fact is almost always a little sloppy. Some films famously get away with it, allowing them to feel like true extensions of the experience (Aliens, Blade Runner, Lord of the Rings Trilogy) while most sadly seem too much like a hastily re-put together patchwork (Dune: the Alan Smithee version for the most heinous example).

The Dark City DC falls somewhere in the middle of these categories, adding in some absolutely wonderful character moments and dialogue. The effects are nicely cleaned up as well, and the film has never looked better. Unfortunately I just can't agree with the rejigged pace of the film (particularly the first third) and what that naturally does to Trevor Jones' wonderful score. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but I love film scores to the point where they're burned into my brain sooner than the film itself...they anchor me, as a viewer, to the images on screen. So when they become disassociated...it's kinda off putting.

What about you folks...any thoughts?

Joe D

Supporting Actor

I just watched this tonight and I have to agree. The director's cut is not nearly as tight and suspenseful as the original film. The entire experience felt clumsy.

The only addition/subtraction that worked was the removal of the opening voice over, everything else is superior in the theatrical cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks