Cutting Circles

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Lee Friedmann, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Lee Friedmann

Lee Friedmann Auditioning

I'm about to build my first sub and would like input on cutting out the openings for for the driver.

Since I don't own a circle jig for a router can I just use a compass to draw a circle and cut it out by hand with a jig saw or a router? Will there be a problem if the circle isn't perfect?

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

You can get quite accurate with a jig saw and will be just fine.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I made my own circle jig from a thin peice of wood. I simply took the bottom plastic off my router and used it as a template to get the holes in the right place. Once the routers bolted on you simply need to hammer in a nail at the right location and voila a simple circle guide. Its not pretty but I've done quite a lot of work with that little guide.:b

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I cut my first holes with a compass and jigsaw and it came out fine. The router with circle jig just allows for a more precise and consistent cut.

5. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I cut the bottom and top plates from my sonosub(finally finished today!!)with a jigsaw and they came out alright. I also used a compass to make the circle then just sanded off whatever I didnt need. Good luck on your building ventures.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

6. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

I used Jig saw for the first couple of ventures (and it was OK), but was I ever pleased when I got a $25 edge and circle jig from Home Depot. It is the cheap universal mount, but I now wish it was one of the first things i had gotten...

Still have to use jigsaw and dremel to smooth out ports less than 2.75" diameter.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The problem I had with using a jig saw was that on 1.5" thick MDF it wouldn't cut perpendicular to the wood since the blade bent out...makes for a very tight fit though[​IMG]

8. Karl FS

Karl FS Extra

I made a circle jig out of 1/4" plexi. Basically I just cut the plexi to size and drilled holes to mount it to the base of my router. Then I drilled a hole for the bit to clear through, and now whenever I need to make a new size circle I just drill a new pivot hole in the jig. For the 15" hole on my tempest, I made a new jig out of mdf using the same method.

9. PeterV

PeterV Agent

Lee,

When I built my family's first Tempest sonosub I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a friends router for cutting the MDF. I thought that was the only sub I would be building, so why buy a router. Well, today I just started on 2 more sealed Shiva sonosubs and was lucky enough to be able to borrow another friends router. Now this has me definitely thinking; I may want to look into purchasing a router. A router sure works nice for sonosubs, and darn, this DIY is like a disease. Did learn one thing though; its better to cut the MDF outside in the springtime than to do it in a closed garage in the winter!! Have fun and good luck!
    PeterV