What's new

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
If there's another thread on this I didn't find it...I suppose I'll hear if there is.:D

Pretty good season, no extras at all though.

What I wanted to mention is the extremely noticeable video artifacts. All sorts of them, really bad IMO, even more so in the context of other HBO DVD's. For an example, watch around the characters' mouths - what the heck's going on with that??

Is this show "filmed" with cheapie handhelds or something? I really started noticing the problem at episode 5, then couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the series and saw it everywhere, but it was likely there in episodes 1-4 too.

I have seasons 1-3 too, and though the PQ is not that good, I don't recall it being nearly this bad.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I have the set, but haven't watched it yet. When I get home (I'm out of town working), I'll definitely have to check this out and see if I notice what you're seeing.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I thought the quality was the same as previous seasons. There's lots of shimmering and stuff; the show is shot with video cameras.

Gord

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Gord. It's been a while since 3 came out so I don't recall details, just that *I've been spoiled* by the majority of TV on DVD that doesn't have such blatant (or indeed any) video artifacts.

It's a shame, "filming" current shows with practically VCR quality gear. Oh well. The series I watched after CYE S4 was MTM S2, more than 30 years older and looked waaay better (except color palette possibly, maybe a matter of taste).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I wouldn't want to see other shows use the same video look as Curb, I think it works perfectly for the show.

Probably my favorite episode from this season is The Car Pool Lane. And I almost die laughing when Larry is playing Telephone with kids in the episode with Ben Stiller's b-day.

"I love..." :)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
They apply some weird film-look type of filter (its not exactly film-look, but something is done to the image), which must be what causes the shimmering.

I've read that the PAL DVDs of CYE have the unprocessed versions.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have the r4 PAL releases of seasons 1-3, and it looks like perfectly normal video to me, with none of the shimmering that everyone is describing, so I think you may be right.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I have the R1 Curb season 4. The PQ seems generally the same but, the layer change on episode 5 is horrible. I have never noticed a layer change on my player before and this one is quite blatant. Other then that I have to admit that this is probably my favourite season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks