What's new

Cube DVD-OAR? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to seing this film, but noticed right away that it was 1.33:1. I figured that it was filmed in this ratio, and I really can't see why Alliance would have done a P&S job on such a small market film, but does anyone know what the actual AR of the film is?

For those who haven't seen the film-the disc is barren, but the movie is excellent. Definitely something that I'd like to see revisited with a better disc.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I hate to have to tell you this, but the disc you describe sounds like a real rip-off.

The American DVD release of this film is indeed widescreen. It's non-anamorphic, I think, but I'm not positive. On top of that, it includes a few great supplements, including three deleted scenes, a commentary track, some storyboard-to-film comparisons, and of course the obligatory trailer. (Do NOT watch the trailer if you haven't seen the film!!!!)

So if you want a better version of "Cube" on DVD, it sounds like the American disc already has what you're looking for.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Carl is definitely right. I know, because I own the American DVD, and it is one of my most watched DVDs in my collection. Great disc!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Kind of sad...this is a Canadian-made film and has a real 'cult' following. I recommend it to people all the time who have never previously heard of it - and walked away from it disturbed for days. Alliance has never really gotten it's shit together; and Cube is an example of that truism.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So the American DVD of a Canadian flick is a real SE? Wow, that's kind of strange. Who distributes it down there?

Chris M

Second Unit
The only DVD I can find for sale is the Trimark one, which is good, since it's widescreen.
But going to Lions Gate Films www.lionsgatefilms.com I looked for Cube and found it with the exact same cover, but no specs to aspect ratio or anything.
Well, at least if I do find it I know to get the Trimark one :)
Chris.
BTW, hypercube looks cool... theaters April 2003 according to imdb.com. 4 dimentions... cool! :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, well, the original cube dealt with four dimensions as well
x,y,z,time
, so I wonder how the Hypercube will work.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
If you have the ability to play discs from other regions, may I suggest the French R2 version, which is anamorphic, has 448kbps audio, and it's on a dual-layer disc. The subtitles are removeable (well, they are on my player!)
It also features a three-minute interview with the director (this featurette is notionally in French, but his comments and the film clips are in English, with French subtitles). The icing on the cake, though, is Natali’s 1996 short film about three people (including Cube’s Hewlett) trapped in a lift, Elevated (Le Court-Métrage).
Nice disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks