What's new
World Wide Stereo

CRT RPTV or Projector for <$1000? (1 Viewer)

Akilesh

Auditioning
Hi. I'm looking for a nice video system to be used in a room with a moderate amount of ambient light during the daytime, but which will be used mostly (~75%) at night. So it needs to be able to function at least decently in ambient light.

It would need to be HDTV-compatible and video-game system friendly, and generally user-friendly.

Any recommendations on whether I'm better off going for a CRT RPTV or a front projector?

Any specific model recommendations? I'm looking to spend under $1000, and anything for around $800 would be ideal. What about buying used?

Thanks!

728x90

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Will this be your main set for ALL TV, etc?
Can you block out most of the light with curtains,etc?
Will it be turned on and off frequently daily?
I have an X1 projector and I love it, but we only use it for DVD's and occasional HDTV. I would not buy a projector for all my viewing. If you can't get the room pretty dark during the day, forget the projector. If you will be turning the projector on and off frequently during the day, forget a projector. The on and off cycles are the hardest thing on the bulb. You can get a very nice projector for $1000 these days, and have a much bigger image than a CRT set. BUT, you will not get a very big HDTV set for $1,000.

Akilesh

Auditioning
Yeah this would be for all our viewing.

OK, so a projector is out. What's best then for $1k and about 50"? Should we go used?

Jon_Jones

Auditioning
Bestbuy has an RCA 52" CRT RPTV for only 899 USD, I'm not sure how good that tv is but I'm sure you can find something along those lines that is very nice. CRTs are going out of style and you can find lots of good deals.

bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196465&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03006&id=1112808997179

John S

Senior HTF Member
Many large CRT RP's are around and below the $1k mark.
Watch the sale adds. RCA may be one to try to stay away from though. I know I have seen some very nice Philips 55" and larger at the $1K mark.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
You may want to look at this Samsung 47" widescreen set at Sam's club. I actually bought it and tried it at home. Picture is great. Has OTA integrated HD tuner and comes with the stand. I'm taking it back because my wife hates the way it looks in the room so I'm going to get something more decor friendly, but if not for that, I'd keep it. Worked well up stairs and the screen doesn't show glare. The TV plus $35 membership would be under $1100 with a nice stand.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Is the Panasonic X54 series (HD CRT-RPTVs) still being sold? There were two sizes - a 53" and, I believe, a 47" - and I think the smaller one was in your price range.

I've got the 53x54, have had it for a little over a year now, and am continually pleased by it. I keep checking the stores - and, yes, I know that floor models don't do justice to the picture those sets are capable of - but I don't see anything out there anywhere near this price-point that represents an upgrade.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
If you are looking for a 47" CRT RPTV, try to find the Panasonic PT-47X54. It's an amazing tv.

I have one for over an year now and I am still amaze over the picture. It's well worth the find, if you can still find them. Looks even better when you remove the protective screen. Avia does a decent job at calibration, but the set shines if you get ISF.

You can still find the Panny 47 online, like at Walmart , but try your local stores. I know about 6 months ago, Circuit City were getting rid of them for less than $1000.

They are very hard to come by because it is the last series of CRT RPTV for Panasonic.

If you are able to find one at your local mega stores at sub $1000 range, just buy it. You will be getting a great set at a great price.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Don't buy a refurb. There is no reason to spend $850 to $2500 on a used TV. You are better off saving your money for a little bit longer and getting a DLP RPTV or a LCD RPTV.

I would not think about paying $900 or more on a refurb CRT RPTV or any TV in that matter.

You are blowing your money away.

If you want a second hand CRT RPTV, you are better off looking on Criag's List and buying it someone that needs to down size because they are moving or whatever.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree. Factory Refurb CRT RP's usually are great products.
Factory warranty and even factory extended warranties are available.

I bought one a few years ago, and it worked out great so far. $1250 delivered 60" HD CRT RP.

This is probably a good time, to get a set for a few years or more for around the $1K mark, waiting for prices and mass availability of 1080p displays and the like, ect...ect...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Those Hitatchi 57"'rs for just over a grand on that site Kirk Patrick posted looks extremely attractive.

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator

tim, with all respect, i disagree
john s. has it right

the key issue is "factory refurbished"

i have bought a lot of factory refurb electronics, all from name brand companies and i find that they refurbish to virtually factory new conditions

usually you have trouble even finding the difference between brand new
some people even trust refurbs more because they inspect them much more thoroughly before putting them out for sale

again, i only refer to "factory refurbished"..not "reseller refurbished" or "open box" or "returned merchandised etc"

factory refurbs are still one of the best kept secrets in electronics

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Kirk and John, I do understand your point of view and often times the consumer gets a great deal on a "factory refurbished" product, but it's a peace of mind also.

Personally, the savings is not worth it to me. I much rather pay extra and get something brand new.

That being said, my first HDTV was brand new, directly from Panasonic. There was no middle man involved. That TV was the biggest pain in the butt because every 3 months or so, something went wrong and it was another service call. After an year and a half, every part on the TV was replaced, but I still had problems.

Finally, Panasonic deemed it be nonrepairable and agreed to replace the set.

They took the old set and gave me the new set.

I really hope that they didn't "factory refurbished" my previous TV and try to sell it off at a discounted price.

I'm in the computer industry. I never recommend my clients to buy "factory refurbished" hardware. It's not worth it. Most of the products were bad brand new, off of the assembling line. No matter how well they expect the "factory refurbished" product, it will never be the same as brand new with the proper specs.

There is no one in their right mind that will buy a "factory refurbished" hard drive because the failure rate is much higher. Sure, they might offer you the same warranty as "new", but is it worth the risk of losing your data?

TV's are the same. You can't really take a big screen TV into a shop. You most likely have to wait for days for a service call and wait even longer for the tech to come back with the part to repair it. That is a lot of wasted time.

I'm glad to hear that many had success with "factory refurbished" products. Maybe I'm just jinx, but many of us has spent a small fortune on our home theaters. It is just not worth the savings on a refurb equipments, to have it go out within 90 days and have ongoing problems.

Why is the TV "factory refurbished" in the first place?

Perhaps, it was a bad item from the factory. Many companies just scrap the defected product because sooner or later, it will come back again with problems.

Buy new :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks