What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher (1957-1960) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
They might have made this more affordable for some of us by not packaging 4K's with Blu's. I don't need or care to have the 4k's. I would love to have the Blu's alone, from the new masters. As it is, even with the half-price sale at B&N, it just seems quite an investment, considering I don't even know if I'll them all.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
They might have made this more affordable for some of us by not packaging 4K's with Blu's. I don't need or care to have the 4k's. I would love to have the Blu's alone, from the new masters. As it is, even with the half-price sale at B&N, it just seems quite an investment, considering I don't even know if I'll them all.
I'm sure people paid $80.00 or more for the Indicator Blu-Ray set. (I paid around $100 to get the individual discs after the set sold out.)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm sure people paid $80.00 or more for the Indicator Blu-Ray set. (I paid around $100 to get the individual discs after the set sold out.)
And the LE set sold out quickly. Indicator is currently running a "3 for 20" deal on the individual titles as well. So, you can pick up all five shipped to the U.S. for $62, but Criterion's 50% off sale will bring the new 4K set down fairly close to that price. You might as well wait for the sale and get the new transfers, IMO.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And the LE set sold out quickly. Indicator is currently running a "3 for 20" deal on the individual titles as well. So, you can pick up all five shipped to the U.S. for $62, but Criterion's 50% off sale will bring the new 4K set down fairly close to that price. You might as well wait for the sale and get the new transfers, IMO.
Fortunately, the B&N Criterion 50% off sale will take place in July which means this July 18th box is eligible based on prior sales.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I click on the link…….

Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Tino,

The Amazon link just hasn't gone live yet. It will do so in the coming days.
The Amazon link has gone live and you can now preorder this release.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Now if only I could get a 4K release of Ride The High Country without the letterboxed credits.
Looking forward to this set at the B&N sale and will preorder and pay for it as soon as that sale starts!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Why would it be better than the DVD - it IS the DVD transfer they're streaming. Calling it HD is a joke.

Last I heard this really was some kind of ancient SD / 480p master - not much to be gained by upscaling it to 1080p.

It was very obvious when I last watched it that the Indicator Blu-rays of the 5 Sony titles looked a lot better even though they came from older 2K / 1080p masters.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Why would it be better than the DVD - it IS the DVD transfer they're streaming. Calling it HD is a joke.
Because the DVD was downscaled from the ancient HD master and the streaming version isn’t downscaled, however the HD master from 2005 certainly looks pretty bad by today’s standards.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Because the DVD was downscaled from the ancient HD master and the streaming version isn’t downscaled, however the HD master from 2005 certainly looks pretty bad by today’s standards.
Good point Mark, and there are quite a few such films - only available on DVD or streaming HD. Many of these look significantly better in HD streaming than DVD, some dramatically better.

As you note, the master for this film just isn’t very good.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think that was my point, but... I watched the streaming Seven Men from Now and for ME it is not even an iota better than the DVD. It's the same mess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think that was my point, but... I watched the streaming Seven Men from Now and for ME it is not even an iota better than the DVD. It's the same mess.
On my LG OLED, I think the iTunes HD digital looks better than the 2005 DVD. I've watched it twice since purchasing it three years ago for $4.99. It's nowhere near an improvement as the Rio Bravo HBO Max stream over its 2007 BD counterpart.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
On my LG OLED, I think the iTunes HD digital looks better than the 2005 DVD. I've watched it twice since purchasing it three years ago for $4.99. It's nowhere near an improvement as the Rio Bravo HBO Max stream over its 2007 DVD counterpart.
I would have expected no other reply from you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks