What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher (1957-1960) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
QZZJB3HQoa7RPubci7i5t2c471gU8U_large.jpg

The five briskly entertaining, vividly performed westerns made by director Budd Boetticher and strapping star Randolph Scott in the second half of the 1950s transcend their B-movie origins to become rich, unexpectedly profound explorations of loyalty, greed, honor, and revenge. Often grouped under the name Ranown (after producer Harry Joe Brown and Scott’s production company) and colorfully scripted by Burt Kennedy and Charles Lang, these films seem to unfold in a world unto themselves, staking a claim between traditional westerns and the subversive genre revisionism of the 1960s—and representing the crowning achievement of the underappreciated auteur Boetticher.

FILMS IN THIS SET​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These were offered on BD, via Indicator ~ but these are coming 4K/BD for $114...

The Indicator Boxset I bought came out in 2018, while the other "The Randolph Scott" 12 classic westerns Boxset that I bought came out in 2021. I'm definitely buying these five titles again for the third time on 4K/UHD due to the following:

• New 4K digital restorations by Sony Pictures Entertainment, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks

1681488420020.png
1681488456912.png

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The Indicator Boxset I bought came out in 2018, while the other "The Randolph Scott" 12 classic westerns Boxset that I bought came out in 2021. I'm definitely buying these five titles again for the third time on 4K/UHD due to the following:

• New 4K digital restorations by Sony Pictures Entertainment, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks

View attachment 181483 View attachment 181484
I’m doomed.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I bought the Mill Creek box-set and was very disappointed with the transfers. If this new set is indeed from new 4K transfers done by Sony, I'll upgrade quickly despite my reluctance to pay Criterion prices.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I too have purchased the previous sets and now...yes...will purchase this set. They are a great group of westerns. Really must own if you are into the genre. That said, I was hoping 7 Men From Now was coming from Criterion. That and Westbound are I believe, the last two from the Boetticher and Scott team that have not had a Blu-ray release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Criterion website list price is $150 and they are currently selling it for $120. At a B&N Criterion Sale or Criterion Flash sale s/b $75 or $15 a movie.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

View attachment 181483 View attachment 181484

The 12 western set pictured in Robert's post from Mill Creek is now only $20.00 at Amazon. I paid twice that when I bought it.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have the Indicator set and the ancient DVD of Seven (7) Men From Now. I would definitely purchase if it had that title included in the Criterion set. That said, they are great films and I'm sure they will look gorgeous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Indicator set and the ancient DVD of Seven (7) Men From Now. I would definitely purchase if it had that title included in the Criterion set. That said, they are great films and I'm sure they will look gorgeous.
Unfortunately, 7 Men from Now doesn't belong to Columbia. It's a Batjac property that is owned by John Wayne's family.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Time flies - last I looked Sony had completed two of these in 4K and now they have competed all of them.
Looks like I will be buying - and watching - them for the third time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks