What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Mean Streets (1973) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4TR6eTQtnxHqqWZsxZ00vgXfrLMiwO_large.jpg

Martin Scorsese emerged as a generation-defining filmmaker with this gritty portrait of 1970s New York City, one of the most influential works of American independent cinema. Set in the insular Little Italy neighborhood of Scorsese’s youth, Mean Streets follows guilt-ridden small-time ringleader Charlie (Harvey Keitel) as he deals with the debts owed by his dangerously volatile best pal, Johnny Boy (Robert De Niro), and pressure from his headstrong girlfriend, Teresa (Amy Robinson). As their intertwined lives spiral out of control, Scorsese showcases his precocious mastery of film style—evident in everything from his propulsive editing rhythms to the lovingly curated soundtrack—to create an electrifying vision of sin and redemption.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 112 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1198

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Martin Scorsese and editor Thelma Schoonmaker, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Excerpted conversation between Scorsese and filmmaker Richard Linklater from a 2011 Directors Guild of America event
  • Selected-scene audio commentary featuring Scorsese and actor Amy Robinson
  • New video essay by author Imogen Sara Smith about the film’s physicality and portrayal of brotherhood
  • Interview with director of photography Kent Wakeford
  • Excerpt from the documentary Mardik: Baghdad to Hollywood (2008) featuring Mean Streets cowriter Mardik Martin as well as Scorsese, journalist Peter Biskind, and filmmaker Amy Heckerling
  • Martin Scorsese: Back on the Block (1973), a promotional video featuring Scorsese on the streets of New York City’s Little Italy neighborhood
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Lucy Sante

New cover by Drusilla Adeline/Sister Hyde Design

November 21, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Fantastic - a necessary addition to the Criterion Collection! The days when Martin Scorsese did feature length Criterion commentaries are long gone - but I'm intrigued about the "scene-specific" commentary.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Fantastic - a necessary addition to the Criterion Collection! The days when Martin Scorsese did feature length Criterion commentaries are long gone - but I'm intrigued about the "scene-specific" commentary.
This will be essential!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Second Sight will have the same transfer but will have a feature length commentary by Demetrios Matheou and David Thompson. Their limited edition box will have a book.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The Second Sight will have the same transfer but will have a feature length commentary by Demetrios Matheou and David Thompson. Their limited edition box will have a book.

oh that sounds nice.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Amazon's current price is $24.99 which I assume is 50% off list price and the same price that it will be at the next B&N Criterion sale.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The B&N sale started yesterday. Mean Streets is available for $19.99.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Here is what Second Sight posted on x (twitter) about thetransfer
We’ve had a few queries regarding the master we are using for MEAN STREETS. We co-funded the new 4K restoration with Criterion and therefore are both using the same master.

The restoration was closely supervised by Martin Scorsese*and Thelma Schoonmaker, who used Scorsese's own personal print as reference for the colour grading. This may differ from previous releases which did not have his involvement*and were not accurate to the correct look of the film.

An additional print held at The Academy was also viewed and closely matched his reference print.*Scorsese worked with colourist Yvan Lucas on this new version to finally have MEAN STREETS look the way he intended on Blu-ray.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I watched this tonight. I thought it looked excellent, considering the film's vintage, budget, and production history. Given Scorsese's signature on the packaging and Schoonmaker's reported close supervision of the master, I trust the colors are correct. They may look unnatural in some scenes, but they are expressive and in keeping with the style of the film. No complaints from me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched this. I thought it looked great, best I’ve ever seen it.

Having watched American Graffiti a few weeks ago, I was struck for the first time at how similar the movies are. One is a tale about life in a California town, the other in New York City. Both have characters who think about getting out, some who maybe want to but can’t see their way to it, and some that just don’t. Neither film uses a score, just songs.

The movies had to be in production at the same time. Graffiti came out in August 1973, MS in October 1973. Both are brilliant films by brilliant filmmakers. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks