What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Moe Dickstein said:
Something else interesting in those prints as well, if you look at the extreme bottom corners, you will see how the image is not only squeezed on the edges but warped/curved up slightly.This is what the digital wizards had to deal with in de-rectifying this stuff.And Bruce, I only speaks what I see, much like yourself in my experience. Sometimes the only appropriate way to respond to certain people is bitchiness, however, and this must be understood as a general rule.
That person joined that board a few weeks ago - it's a longtime stalker who has neither "known" me for decades or who knows Nick at all. I'm followed all over the Internet by this person - the posting style is always the same - more usernames than the entirety of the Home Theater Forum. It never ceases to amaze me, but it's been going on for so long now I just kind of expect "it" to show up wherever. Not here yet - although it registered once upon a time, but never posted. I know this because it also registered many times on my own board and one of those times the name seemed suspicious so I Googled it and it led me right here to its profile. Funny huh?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Doug Bull said:
Could this 70mm Ultra Panavision film clip be from an existing rare and complete Australian print? :eek:
It is rectified (Edges anamorphic-ally squeezed to compensate for curved screens) and it definitely comes from an exhibited Australian print.

It has some fading which means it's not IB Technicolor.
Were there any 70mm Eastman prints struck in the original release period?

I'm not sure of the print's present existence or if it's from a later re-issue. - I'm sure Mr Harris might have an answer.

Anyway, whatever the answer, I've mainly posted the images for the interest and enjoyment of forum members.

attachicon.gif
MAD WORLD70mm1.jpg
(courtesy of K.Bull)

Compare with a frame grab from an earlier MGM DVD.
attachicon.gif
iammmmwdvd.jpg

I'm unable to grab an image from the Blu-Ray.

Doug.
Appears to be a print struck by Technicolor London. Did you crop the outboard tracks in the image, or did someone trim the print?

RAH

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Amazon now has my favorite comedy available for pre-order:

But aren't we waiting for a Home Theater Forum sponsored link so I can support the site?

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Moe Dickstein said:
Dan scroll back the HTF link has been posted twice already
Whoops! I am not keeping up with this thread as I ought. Thanks for correcting me; I'm off to get mine!

(Edit: ...and thanks to the moderator for removing my spurious link so someone as dim as I doesn't accidentally use it to order.)

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Just pre-ordered thru the link, your most obedient servant - actually, it was my butler who did the physical work "with all possible dispatch."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Adrian,

Please thanks Jeeves for the physical labor involved.

I thank you and everyone else, too.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Neil S. Bulk said:
What about the estimated delivery date of Thursday, January 23, 2014. and I ordered with Prime! ;)
My order is the same way. I'm fairly confident that as we get closer to the 21st, it'll switch to release date delivery. If not, I'll call customer service.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I ordered through the link as well. Now how many days until I have this in my hands?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert Harris said:
Appears to be a print struck by Technicolor London. Did you crop the outboard tracks in the image, or did someone trim the print?

RAH
London yet!
I'm very impressed Robert and yes I did trim the outer tracks a bit when I prepared the image for presentation on this forum.

If the print that this clip comes from was struck in London, then does that dismiss any chance that it might be the holly grail? :eek:

MAD WORLD original.jpg

the clip as I received it. Pity that both frames are not quite complete.

Doug.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Doug Bull said:
London yet!
I'm very impressed Robert and yes I did trim the outer tracks a bit when I prepared the image for presentation on this forum.

If the print that this clip comes from was struck in London, then does that dismiss any chance that it might be the holly grail? :eek:

attachicon.gif
MAD WORLD original.jpg
the clip as I received it. Pity that both frames are not quite complete.

Doug.
Note the tiny circle between the perfs at the frame line. The purpose was toward print repair and conform. Coming every five perts (one per frame), it enabled projectionists to determine the offset of the frame line. Most helpful at fades.

As a Tech London print, I'd bet that the fact that it falls on the frame line is not by accident. Superb lab!

RAH

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert Harris said:
Note the tiny circle between the perfs at the frame line. The purpose was toward print repair and conform. Coming every five perts (one per frame), it enabled projectionists to determine the offset of the frame line. Most helpful at fades.

As a Tech London print, I'd bet that the fact that it falls on the frame line is not by accident. Superb lab!

RAH
That's great, thank you Robert for sharing this most interesting and valuable information.

MAD WORLD spot.jpg

This 70mm clip from "Can-Can" (Hopefully Fox will give us a Blu-Ray soon) also shows the frame line circle.(albeit partially)
can-can2.jpg

Doug.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Doug Bull said:
That's great, thank you Robert for sharing this most interesting and valuable information.

attachicon.gif
MAD WORLD spot.jpg

This 70mm clip from "Can-Can" (Hopefully Fox will give us a Blu-Ray soon) also shows the frame line circle.(albeit partially)
attachicon.gif
can-can2.jpg

Doug.
There are unfortunate problems with the Can-Can elements, which share a partially similar fate with The Alamo, although Alamo is far worse. Heavy lifting in bringing that one back.

RAH

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
There are unfortunate problems with the Can-Can elements, which share a partially similar fate with The Alamo, although Alamo is far worse. Heavy lifting in bringing that one back.RAH
I'm still fascinated by your (for want of a better term) 'Franken-colour' solution* for the reconstruction of those faded 1st roadshow trims from IAMMMMW.

For any film where you have a badly faded but still intact original negative, couldn't you scan that to capture the core image detail, and then pick up a more stable colour field from...say...a well-preserved Technicolor print? When I look at that faded frame from Can-Can, I see an otherwise pretty clean image. If that 65mm frame is representative of the whole, it seems a shame that it couldn't be digitally combined with better colour from an archival print.

Is this a purely logistical problem vis-à-vis the condition of the original element(s)...i.e. other types of damage to the film? Or simply a question of time/cost vs. potential commercial value?

* BTW, what do you call this new colour recovery technique?

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Don't mind me, but I'm toying with some Mad World trivia games to occupy my time until January. Leaving any kid in the cast out of it (such as the one who annoys Phil Silvers), I'm trying to think who the youngest perfomer was, and the oldest, without immediately consulting the IMDB. Offhand, I figure Barrie Chase the youngest and Edward Everett Horton the oldest. Also, who had been offscreen the longest before their reappearance (not counting TV). Zasu Pitts? Tom Kennedy? No significance to any of this--just toying with trivia.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks