What's new

Criterion Press Release: Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
73k4EkSiXEfsdi097fieFBGdb39vlg_large.jpg

In the early 1970s, a kung-fu dynamo named Bruce Lee side-kicked his way onto the screen and straight into pop-culture immortality. With his magnetic screen presence, tightly coiled intensity, and superhuman martial-arts prowess, Lee was an icon who conquered both Hong Kong and Hollywood cinema, and transformed the art of the action film in the process. This collection brings together the five films that define the Lee legend: furiously exciting fist-fliers propelled by his innovative choreography, unique martial-arts philosophy, and whirlwind fighting style. Though he completed only a handful of films while at the peak of his stardom before his untimely death at age thirty-two, Lee left behind a monumental legacy as both a consummate entertainer and a supremely disciplined artist who made Hong Kong action cinema a sensation the world over.

FILM INFO
  • Spine #1036
FILMS IN THIS SET
PURCHASE OPTIONS
Coming soon, available Jul 14, 2020

BLU-RAY7 Discs$87.46SRP: $124.95
73k4EkSiXEfsdi097fieFBGdb39vlg_large.jpg

1/6
Trailer for Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits

91052728e8f3a974ef74bd5a0465d067.jpeg

2/6

3cb414ac1a02a51989ced92a509c19b5.jpeg

3/6

6dfaf38dc320a64c692f919268d9dd32.jpeg

4/6

03b1b3a7ee5903f7e78af0a7c1050213.jpeg

5/6

727dfb10039f4af389ff86ae2de81c89.jpeg

6/6

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sweet! Looking forward to this release! FYI, Criterion.com currently has it discounted at a pre-order price of $87.46, shipped free.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
If you have the Reelz channel you can check out the series Autopsy, The Last Hours Of where they had a very interesting episode on Bruce Lee and how he died.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone know what kind of new/recent restoration, if any, these will have?

I already have the Shout Factory set from ~6(?) years ago...

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
$46.25 with the coupon Criterion has been sending its channel subscribers. Nice! :)
My coupon is good only on Criterion's website, not Barnes and Noble. Need to wait for Criterion's next 50% off in stock Flash sale and hope its after the release date and you order before it sells out. Unless others got a coupon good at Barnes and Noble.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Anyone know what kind of new/recent restoration, if any, these will have?

I already have the Shout Factory set from ~6(?) years ago...

_Man_

WB remastered Enter the Dragon back in 2013 not sure if 2k or 4k and Shout released the 4 titles in the set as individual titles with new 4k scans/restorations under the Shout Select line a few years back but those went out of print at the end of 2017. Game of Death was a 2 disc release with the USA cut & Mandrian/Cantonese cut. Just waiting to see the extras before I decide if I'm going to sell off the Shout Select ones. Hoping for a new restoration of the "Game of Death Revisited" footage.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
From Criterion's website:

SEVEN-DISC SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• 4K digital restorations of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtracks
  • New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 99-minute 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtrack
  • 2K digital restoration of the 102-minute “special-edition” version of Enter the Dragon
  • Alternate audio soundtracks for the films, including original English-dubbed tracks and a 5.1 surround soundtrack for the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon
  • Six audio commentaries: on The Big Boss by Bruce Lee expert Brandon Bentley; on The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon by Hong Kong–film expert Mike Leeder; and on the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon by producer Paul Heller
  • High-definition presentation of Game of Death II, the 1981 sequel to Game of Death
  • Game of Death Redux, a new presentation of Lee’s original Game of Death footage, produced by Alan Canvan
  • New interviews on all five films with Lee biographer Matthew Polly
  • New interview with producer Andre Morgan about Golden Harvest, the company behind Hong Kong’s top martial-arts stars, including Lee
  • New program about English-language dubbing with voice performers Michael Kaye (the English-speaking voice of Lee’s Chen Zhen in Fist of Fury) and Vaughan Savidge
  • New interview with author Grady Hendrix about the “Bruceploitation” subgenre that followed Lee’s death, and a selection of Bruceploitation trailers
  • Blood and Steel, a 2004 documentary about the making of Enter the Dragon
  • Multiple programs and documentaries about Lee’s life and philosophies, including Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (1998)
  • Interviews with Linda Lee Cadwell, Lee’s widow, and many of Lee’s collaborators and admirers, including actors Jon T. Benn, Riki Hashimoto, Nora Miao, Robert Wall, Yuen Wah, and Simon Yam and directors Clarence Fok, Sammo Hung, and Wong Jing
  • Promotional materials
  • New English subtitle translations and subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Jeff Chang

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
man this thing is loaded to the gills, and it may only be one fight scene, but with this; CHUCK NORRIS enters The Criterion Collection! I need a damn coupon, or need to wait till the next B&N sale... who am i kidding Friday is payday:rock:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
From Criterion's website:

SEVEN-DISC SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• 4K digital restorations of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtracks
  • New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 99-minute 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtrack
  • 2K digital restoration of the 102-minute “special-edition” version of Enter the Dragon
  • Alternate audio soundtracks for the films, including original English-dubbed tracks and a 5.1 surround soundtrack for the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon
  • Six audio commentaries: on The Big Boss by Bruce Lee expert Brandon Bentley; on The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon by Hong Kong–film expert Mike Leeder; and on the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon by producer Paul Heller
  • High-definition presentation of Game of Death II, the 1981 sequel to Game of Death
  • Game of Death Redux, a new presentation of Lee’s original Game of Death footage, produced by Alan Canvan
  • New interviews on all five films with Lee biographer Matthew Polly
  • New interview with producer Andre Morgan about Golden Harvest, the company behind Hong Kong’s top martial-arts stars, including Lee
  • New program about English-language dubbing with voice performers Michael Kaye (the English-speaking voice of Lee’s Chen Zhen in Fist of Fury) and Vaughan Savidge
  • New interview with author Grady Hendrix about the “Bruceploitation” subgenre that followed Lee’s death, and a selection of Bruceploitation trailers
  • Blood and Steel, a 2004 documentary about the making of Enter the Dragon
  • Multiple programs and documentaries about Lee’s life and philosophies, including Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (1998)
  • Interviews with Linda Lee Cadwell, Lee’s widow, and many of Lee’s collaborators and admirers, including actors Jon T. Benn, Riki Hashimoto, Nora Miao, Robert Wall, Yuen Wah, and Simon Yam and directors Clarence Fok, Sammo Hung, and Wong Jing
  • Promotional materials
  • New English subtitle translations and subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Jeff Chang

Thanks for the info Scott. They must have just posted this, as it wasn't on their website yesterday around noon. If it was then I completely missed it!

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
The only way I could purchase the films again is to be guaranteed that Fists Of Fury is UNCUT as I saw it opening day on the Willow brook Cinema screen in Wayne, NJ. I saw this uncut print under the National General Pictures banner at least 16 times within a very short period of time and now the "saw in the head in the ice house" remains cut as well as the circular saw coming up from under the two cousins has been shortened.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
man this thing is loaded to the gills, and it may only be one fight scene, but with this; CHUCK NORRIS enters The Criterion Collection! I need a damn coupon, or need to wait till the next B&N sale... who am i kidding Friday is payday:rock:

Mid July release
July is the next expected 50% B&N sale
Is there any reason to order this week or next week or next month rather than wait for July 1 more or less

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My first reaction after opening this thread today for the first time: SWEET! This will be great!

My next reaction: Wait a minute...

I then go thru the list of extras listed in Message # 13.

I breathe a huge sigh of relief when I do not see any indication that Tarantino will do an interview or commentary or anything else that would give him another opportunity to try to trash a legend.

My final reaction: I can't wait for this! I expect this will prove to be one of the best releases of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks