What's new

Criterion in September (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yep, I, too have to offer kudos to Criterion for allowing me to replace one disc in my Brazil box. After buying the laserdisc version, then the DVD set, there was no way I'd buy another box.

The Brazil set with an anamorphic director's cut just shot the set up in the rankings where it belongs.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Great news!

I hope SS is packaged in a slimcase so that I can slide it nicely in my Kurosawa 'Samurai Triolgy' box set.

Also not crazy about those silly tilted C logo on all the covers. What's the point?

The new artwork for Armacord is very nice though. There's way to many DVDs going on my wantlist than I can afford!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

It doesn't say for sure, but I would assume that the movie is going to be spread over the first two discs. It's about 16 minutes longer than Children of Paradise, which Criterion spread over two discs for their release a few years ago (although there's a more obvious disc break for that one, as the movie itself is in two parts).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
It's been a long time since I was really excited about a Criterion release but......... Woo-Hoo! Finally! SEVEN SAMURAI!

I'll also be picking up the 3-disc anamorphic Brazil.

Jigoku sounds interesting. A definite rental.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Really? I've seen it a couple of times in theaters, but I don't remember there being an intermission. When does it happen?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I have to throw out a few "WOOT!"s for the release of JIGOKU (a/k/a HELL); I think it's one of the most important hard-to-see movies ever. It's groundbreaking use of bleak subject matter and still-terrifying gore would easily be considered influential on all manner of horror films if anyone besides me had ever heard of the darned thing.
And it provides great Asian competition for those infamous Ron Ormond evangelical films like IF FOOTMEN TIRE YOU, WHAT WILL HORSEMEN DO that still play "Christian" drive-ins to this day, in terms of trying to scare the audience with what happens in the fiery furnace. ;)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I'd never even heard of "Jigoku" before this announcement, and I suspect that those of you who have are doing back-flips over this outta nowhere release! It sounds a little like the sort of flick that Criterion might have included in their "cult film collection" (was it going to be called "Eclipse"?), so I wonder if that's still a go?

Midnight Eye (website devoted to Japanese cinema) has a really interesting write-up on "Jigoku" here: http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/jigoku.shtml

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

That makes sense. Split the film at the intermission and spread it across 2 discs. I'm definitely picking this up, as the previous SS disc leaves alot to be desired transfer wise.

I'm also picking up the new 3 disc Brazil. I'm glad I held off on the previous release.

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Has Criterion been bought out by Omni Consumer Products? Because that 'C' looks very similar to the brand name logo on my piece-of-junk ED-209 that's been sitting in my garage. Damn thing can't climb stairs and nearly laid waste to the neighborhood when the paper carrier accidentally hit it.

Still, I'm there for the Seven Samurai and Brazil remasters.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Utterly FANTASTIC news! 'Seven Samurai' is a must, and this may tip the scale for me on 'Brazil.' Criterion certainly knows its audience!

I'm hoping this 'Samurai' announcement is a prelude to refurbished transfers/new supplements for 'Yojimbo' and 'Sanjuro' as well. Those two are in just as desperate need of an overhaul.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Criterion has already said Yojimbo and Sanjuro are being remastered. That really only leaves High & Low as the only Criterion released Kurosawa film that is in need of a remaster.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Actually the intermission occurs when

some of the farmers try to break away from the group but the samurai stop them and the leader (Takashi Shimura) gives an impassioned speech about sticking together.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What's shakin', Hagster? Haven't seen you in Lex Vegas lately?

This is a damn good month. I'll definitley get Seven Samurai and the anamorphic Brazil.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Aww, shit yeah! Been holding off on buying the Criterion Seven Samurai (for inexcusable reasons), so this is a wonderfully happy accident.

Too, I'll certainly be upgrading my 3-disc Brazil with the new 16:9 single-discer...mad love to Criterion for doing this. August and September just got way more costly (Samurai, V for Vendetta, Brazil, Kicking and Screaming, Battlestar 2.5, A Fish Called Wanda) than what I was expecting.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Nifty.

By the way - here are the spine #'s for these releases:

#2 - Seven Samurai
#4 - Amarcord
#51 - Brazil (3-disc)
#112 - Playtime
#351 - Brazil (1-Disc)
#352 - The Spirit of the Beehive
#353 - Jigoku

Interesting that the single-disc Brazil would be 351 and not 51.1 like it is in the box set.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

That is kind of strange. Damn you, Criterion! No original spine number, NO SALE!!

(um, just kidding)

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Better quality covers courtesy of Criterion:

No Brazil yet; it should show up last, as it's uploaded by Criterion...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks