What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Princess Bride (1987) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
5tu7tapDaxK01Qznqswco5NnhmPUA3_large.jpg
high-spirited adventure that pits true love against inconceivable odds, The Princess Bride has charmed legions of fans with its irreverent gags, eccentric ensemble, and dazzling swordplay. A kid (Fred Savage), home sick from school, grudgingly allows his grandfather (Peter Falk) to read him a dusty storybook—which is how we meet the innocent Buttercup (Robin Wright, in her breakout role), about to marry the nefarious Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) though her heart belongs to Westley (Cary Elwes). The wedding plans are interrupted, however, by a mysterious pirate, a vengeful Spaniard, and a good-natured giant, in a tale full of swashbuckling, romance, and outrageously hilarious spoofery. Directed by Rob Reiner from an endlessly quotable script by William Goldman, The Princess Bridereigns as a fairy-tale classic.

The Princess Bride

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 98 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #948

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Audio commentary featuring director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, producer Andrew Scheinman, and actors Billy Crystal and Peter Falk
  • Edited audiobook reading of Goldman’s novel The Princess Bride by Reiner
  • Program about Goldman’s screenplay
  • Program about Goldman’s tapestry based on his novel
  • Interviews with Reiner, Goldman, and actors Crystal, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Robin Wright
  • Interview with art director Richard Holland
  • Programs about makeup, fencing, and fairy tales
  • On-set video diary filmed and narrated by Elwes
  • Five behind-the-scenes videos with commentaries by Reiner, Scheinman, and Crystal
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by author Sloane Crosley and Goldman’s introduction to his Princess Bride script from his collection Four Screenplays, in a lavishly illustrated, clothbound book

Cover by Angela Rizza

September 5, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have the German Turbine Media 4K UHD and the quality is reference-level:

I've had the Criterion versions since they published it on LaserDisc and I won't mind trading in the German 4k UHD for this.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Criterion keeps outdoing itself with its ugly covers. Just when you think they can't do any worse...they do.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I love 80s adventure/fantasy films, but I've never warmed up to this film.
Pity, I really wanted to love it, because I see it's very highly regarded among film fans.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I watched this in Dolby Vision on iTunes and it's a terrific transfer. This should be a great disc.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There was a minor flaw in the Criterion Blu-ray release that I noted at the time in my review. I wonder if that will be corrected for this UHD release:

During one scene around 26:34, there is a medium shot with Fezzik speaking to Westley, and when he speaks, there is a slight video stutter that can be seen in some of the frames.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Love this one, but I already have the Criterion blu, the 4K iTunes digital and the German UHD disc, so no need to go to the well once more.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'll bite on this one, but I'm wondering if/when this will make its way to Disney+ with a 4K UHD master [remember, StudioCanal holds the video rights, but Disney, via its acquisition of 21st Century-Fox retains broadcast and theatrical rights]. It is a personal favourite and eminently quotable.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'll bite on this one, but I'm wondering if/when this will make its way to Disney+ with a 4K UHD master [remember, StudioCanal holds the video rights, but Disney, via its acquisition of 21st Century-Fox retains broadcast and theatrical rights]...
The streaming rights are confusing for this one. Disney has it on their service, but it’s an MGM title on iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks