What's new

Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State SEs due 5/4 (but POSTPONED) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika

Well, I recently finished work on three DVDs for Tony and I'm just starting on his new film, "Domino." So I'm doing what I can. Haven't heard anything about an SE of "The Fan" though.

Thanks for the thought, though! :)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
BTW -- if anyone hasn't picked up THE FAN yet and you're thinking about it, make sure you check the fine print on the back cover carefully.

It looks like Columbia/Tri-Star is re-releasing this one in Full-Screen ONLY. The local Wal-Marts, Best Buys and Circuit City's I went to this last weekend all had tons of copies but all of them have a new cover and include only the full-frame version.

I managed to snag the only copy of the original release (which is dual-sided with 16x9 widescreen on Side 1 and Fool Screen on Side 2) that any of them had (at Circuit City).

Don't know if the original is going OOP or not but, much like Columbia/Tri-Star's THE LAST ACTION HERO, they seem to be trying to slip this by under the radar.

New "Full-Screen Only" cover:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Di$ney has announced Blu-ray support.

BVHE prexy Bob Chapek responded thusly when asked about the prospects of Di$ney animated classics coming to Blu-ray in a Video Business story:
I'm very likely giving the House of Mouse too much credit for prescience, but maybe these titles got delayed due to hi def DVD's imminence.

But I'd also tend to play devil's advocate and call bunk on that notion, as these titles were cancelled/'postponed' at least seven months ago.

Grrrr--I just would really like to know the titles' status either way: imminent on standard def, postponed for hi def or whatever b.s. Di$ney reason.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You're prolly right Craig. But I also think Di$ney may very well milk standard def by re-releasing these on current DVD as SEs then do Blu-ray in 2 years.

The most helpful step right now it seems to me is Di$ney announcing their first slate of Blu-rays. From there we can kinda extrapolate what their posture is going to be regarding the mix of current pics and catalog titles for hi def release, especially for their live action Touchstone/Hollywood (and Miramax) titles.

Swapped Philips 16x9 sets recently to a different model that has an HDMI input and does not lock into "Widescreen" mode when fed a progressive signal. So ironic: just last night I was spinning Enemy Of the State (gripping some action Will after seeing 'roco' Will in Hitch this past weekend . . . that guy is unstoppable). So of course it's non-anamorph so have to watch in "Zoom 16:9" mode but it was totally noticeable, even without having done good calibration yet, that progressive scan brought picture improvements that helped compensate for that disc's edge-enhanced transfer. It was nice to finally be able to see it look better AND properly composed.

Now just imagine if it was anamorphic . . .

"Ever beat off in the shower, Brian . . .?,
-p

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It seems as if Disney was the worst offender of making non-anamorphic DVDs. I have several titles of theirs that I have been waiting to get re-released (Armageddon, Sling Blade, Con Air -- just to name a few). You would think by now, we would have had them. In addition, it would be nice of them to release them without gobs of edge enhancement.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The never-ending wait for anamorphic versions of Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State and Con Air continues. :angry:

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Yep - but I should tell you that browsing the high street here (in good old England), that the SE of Crimson Tide can be picked up for just £3.97 in Blockbuster (which is the same price I bought the 2 disc anamorphic Armageddon as well from the same store). Same for Enemy Of The State. Just saying that you might want to grab these if you ever take a holiday here.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jason: I just wish Di$ney would hurry up and announce their first slate of Blu-rays already. I unfortunately don't think either of these pics will be on that list.

So how is that R3 Enemy, Mark? What made you go for that version as apposed to the R2? Are you located in R3?

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks