What's new

Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State SEs due 5/4 (but POSTPONED) (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah--how 'bout Criterion re-releasing their Armageddon anamorphic.

And just when you thought you could stop grousing about Mouschwitz: news today of a DVD re-release of . . . Bridget Jones's Diary. Yeah yeah yeah, its global b.o. cume is higher than CT and EOtS . . . but still . . .!

-p

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
On the subject of Bruckheimer, they are rumored to be releasing a 3-Disc set of Pirates of the Caribbean. What was wrong with the 2-Disc set from last year?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Paul, mega-dittos on ARMAGEDDON. And where are CRIMSON TIDE and ENEMY OF THE STATE already. Why does BVHE drag their feet (or other body parts) so much! :D

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I would have expected a Sept. street date at the very least since Tony Scott and Denzel just had a pretty good box office it with Man on Fire. But it seems that there is no Sept. date. Perhaps it is to coincide with the DVD release of King Arthur, a Bruckheimer film which did not fair well with critics or box office receipts. Either way I see no excuse for this since neither release will be the special edition we would coem to expect from these two films. Waiting all this time just for bare bones basic releases is what we have come to expect from studios, so why should we be suprised.

Armageddon is in dire need of a new anamorphic transfer. I jsut watched this the other night, and have always enjoyed it for what it is. Even if it wasn't Criterion that did it, a new edition would be welcome. I think this is one of those titles that many agree would benefit from a re-release, give nthe film isnt popular with everyone, it warrants a new edition more than some other titles (Underworld has had 3 releases in less than a year, for example).

But it seems likely that they will now coincide with the long awaited release of Scott's biggest film, Top Gun, set to arrive on Nov. 16. All and all though, it seems to be a good year for Tony Scott fans, getting three much anticipated titles and his latest film all around the same time. Lets just hope Tide and EoTS pan out.

By the way, where is the Con Air: SE?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another wanting Special Editions(w/ anamorphic transfers of course) of Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, Con Air and Armageddon. I'm sure they will all come out at some point in time.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Armageddon already got a really nice Criterion Edition. Really funny commentary track on it too... loved Affleck's amusing remarks. Aside from an anamorphic transfer, a new release would be hard to top the extras on the Criterion version.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If U can do anamorphic re-releases of The Thing and Born On the Fourth Of July that contain largely the same supps as the original non-anamorphs, then Criterion of all peeps can do a re-release of 'Armaged' that is substantially similar if not identical supp-wise but just adds anamorph. Esp. given the price point of that release.

I always thought it unconscionable that a company as film-savvy as Crit released this non-anamorph in the first place and has yet to go back and do it right since.

-p

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
While Armageddon looks good, I think a new transfer could make it even better for today's standards ---- in addition to being anamorphic. I'm sure Disney is likely to release such a version one day.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Color me skeptical, but I'm starting to question whether these are going to get re-announced for re-release this fall. Di$ney has announced an unrated (woo hoo!) King Arthur for 12/21. Seems like if Mouse House was going to announce this release for synergy with the other Tony Scott DVDs this fall, they would have already.

But having said that, the announcement of Pirates Of the Caribbean: The Lost Disc is for a street date just 2 months away (11/2). What's the shortest time before street ya'll have heard of a major studio making the release announcement?

-p

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
If they bring an Unrated King Arthur...

Their Mickey Mouse Ass better bring the unaltered version of Scream in full 16x9 glory. ;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Man On Fire has streeted.

Par just moved Top Gun out of November into possibly December.

And still no new news.

Okay, maybe Mouschwitz is waiting to Fox to announce their Man On Fire SE street date . . .

Sigh.

-p

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Well, if Duel could eventually get released, maybe these will too. It's been a long time since I saw Crimson Tide and I just sold my Enemy of the State. Hopefully they'll come out sooner rather than later!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My roommate is watching Hidalgo, which stars Viggo Mortensen, and I started thinking about Crimson Tide, also starring Viggo...what's going on, Disney?!?!?!

Kenneth English

Second Unit
While we're on the subject of Tony Scott films, anyone think we'll ever see a Special Edition of THE FAN? Not one of Scott's best, but a pretty good flick none the less. I got the current bare-bones DVD at Circuit City last week for $5.99. Wouldn't mind double-dipping when that's all I had to pay...

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kenneth,

Re possibilities for a The Fan SE. It's interesting to me that, although the The Fan DVD is from an earlier (1997) Columbia Tristar output era that saw them re-release SEs of a lot of their early titles that had those static, unattractive, blue background menus because of the studio's embarrassment over those releases (per a couple of different early chats with Col/Tri reps back in the day), we've not seen a new Fan. (Col/Tri even re-released an SE of The Craft, ya'll.) Personally, methinks if we haven't seen one by now, we won't. Unless of course Tony directs a new film for Sony Pictures that makes major bank . . .

What I wish had happened in this regard is for Charlie de Lauzirika to have been given the opportunity to get as involved in Tony's (even just catalog) DVD production as he's been involved on bro Ridley's . . .

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks