What's new

Crime Story (1 Viewer)

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Good day, everyone!
This is my first post to any forum, Ever. I have been wondering if anyone has heard whether or not Crime Story Season 2 will ever be released. My emails to Anchor Bay have gone unanswered.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
It's a shame Season 1 had replacement music like the episodes shown in syndication. That's the only thing stopping me from buying it. I may give in because I doubt we'll ever see this show again in any format.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Was this show shown in syndication? I know the origianl music was used for the cable reruns on USA and A&E. It is a shame they replaced the music. Wouldn't it have been better to release the show in 2 parts (per season) with a higher SRP to allow the original music to be left intact?!

Mark To

Supporting Actor
When they do that to a show, like they did with Wiseguy, I won't buy it and I'll just stick with my SP off-network masters.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I also emailed Anchor Bay with no response.

I have season one and would like to add season two, which (if I recall correctly) I liked more than season one.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Season One was released in the fall of 2003 and Anchor Bay has been known to be inconsistent in releasing TV shows on DVD, so perhaps we'll hear something in the summer. With only two seasons, it would be a shame for AB not to release a DVD set.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Season One was released in the fall of 2003 and Anchor Bay has been known to be inconsistent in releasing TV shows on DVD, so perhaps we'll hear something in the summer. With only two seasons, it would be a shame for AB not to release a DVD set.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Can someone offer exact info on the music replacements? Is the theme tune intact? The 1st Season is being released here in the UK and if the music changes aren't too bad I shall be buying. :D

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I have the Region 1 release and can confirm the intro music is intact. It's been a long time since this series was shown on broadcast television here, and I'm afraid I can't tell what was replaced in the episodes presented on DVD.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I believe the intro music on the A&E episodes was replaced as well. That didn't sound like Del Shannon singing "Runaway" to me. Hopefully it's different on the DVD set.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Are you sure there was heavy music replacement on this shows DVD release? I just picked up the R2 release and the first 4 episodes have tons of 60's hits sung by original artists...

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I too have wondered about this. I have the Region 1 edition and I haven't found any obvious instances of music replacement. If there are any in this DVD set, they are quite well and tastefully done.

Chris_Wa

Agent
I know this is an old thread but replaced music seems to be a hot topic.

There are MANY replaced songs throughout this DVD set - I know as I have: the complete store bought VHS tape set; the complete set from USA Network syndication and most of the original broadcasts.

One that stuck out like a sore thumb was an awesome bluesy version of Runaway by Bonnie Raitt (she recorded a version 25+ years ago but this was a newer remix) - it was played when Julie left Mike (much like the MIA QL episode, this song fit the scene perfectly). That is gone and replaced with a close "sound-alike" (I don't even think its Bonnie at all).

I also notice many generic instrumentals where there used to be the original music.

This whole "DVD release" thing is getting old. I wish they'd either release what was originally aired or don't release anything at all.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Chris,

Is the theme song on the DVD set the original Del Shannon version? I remember hearing a version in syndication that didn't sound the same. Although, I'm starting to wonder if it was Del Shannon on the second season original broadcasts either. That was 17 years ago and I'm not sure.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
It's a re-recorded version of the song by Del Shannon -- that's the way it was presented in the original. It wasn't the original hit by Shannon.

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm debating whether to purchase this show or Homicide: Life on the Street. Which one would you prefer. I haven't seen any episodes of either show, but am a fan of cop shows in general and would like to add one of them to my collection. Since more season sets have been released for Homicide, I assume it is safe to say that maybe that show is more popular or better selling than Crime Story. I have noticed that a 2nd season of Crime Story has not been put out. How many seasons were there for both shows. Thanks for the info.

Joe R.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Homicide: Life On The Street ran 7 seasons (but the first two were real short- 9 shows in 1, 4 shows in 2). Very good show (though to be honest I've got a lot of it to catch up on...). Strong writing, 'real'-feeling...

Crime Story only ran two seasons. Not 'real'-feeling... kinda melodrama, soap operatic, with comedic elements... lots of great music- period piece- the music, the cars... moves from Chicago to Vegas in the middle of the first season... Great cast- Dennis Farina, Bill Smitrovich, Anthony Denison... Michael Mann produced.

Two very different shows. I liked both (but only saw all of Crime Story).

If the plan is to 'get into something' that will entertain you for a good long while... Homicide is probably your best bet for now. Don't let Crime Story drop off your radar entirely, though, and if there's (finally) an announcement for Season 2's release... they're well worth watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks