What's new

3D Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954) (1 Viewer)

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Well, there's another $100 spent. Damn.
I find it interesting that Universal is releasing this set a week before DIAL M. For the record, I had zero interest in this due to having the Legacy collection DVDs. Now, it's a must buy. Soon as the pre-order button goes up, I'm hitting it.
As to Creature and OAR, I'm used to seeing the 1:37 copy, so if that's all I get, I'll deal with it. It would be neat if it was 1:85, but the OAR isn't a dealbreaker for me in this case. But, Bob, you mentioned Creature not being in 1:85 since 1954. I could be wrong (and probably am) but weren't the 35mm anaglpyhs from 1972 in 1:85? I know the 16mms weren't, but I was sure the 35mm was.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
But, Bob, you mentioned Creature not being in 1:85 since 1954. I could be wrong (and probably am) but weren't the 35mm anaglpyhs from 1972 in 1:85?
They were, but every venue that played them which I attended ran them in 1.37:1.
Remember, the prints are full frame. It's up to the theater to present them in the correct ratio.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I saw Creature in 35mm polaroid at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto during a massive 3D festival. About 133 aspect ratio.
I didn't see a problem with this at the time (e.g., no booms or other protrusions).
In general, I don't have a problem with flat releases being exhibited at multiple AR's because I suspect that they are filmed with that practice in mind rather than having a fixed notion of the "correct" AR. Sorry for this opinion, it always gets me into trouble.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
rsmithjr said:
I didn't see a problem with this at the time (e.g., no booms or other protrusions).
In general, I don't have a problem with flat releases being exhibited at multiple AR's because I suspect that they are filmed with that practice in mind rather than having a fixed notion of the "correct" AR. Sorry for this opinion, it always gets me into trouble.
Nothing wrong with that opinion as long as you concede the value of giving precedence to the intended ratio where possible. :)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Doctorossi said:
Nothing wrong with that opinion as long as you concede the value of giving precedence to the intended ratio where possible. :)
Depends on the film actually.
In 1954, the studios knew that there was a wide variety of actual AR's in use for a flat film, and hedged their bets accordingly.
I think that 178 for DVD's and HD video has changed the situation considerably.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Doctorossi said:
Nothing wrong with wanting OAR however the major thing--for me at any rate--is to get Classic 3D on Blu Ray. Therefore, I am not going to shake my fist and curse Universal if they give CFTBL in 1:37 instead of 1:85. They are giving it in 3D and will be rewarded with my hard earned cash the same as WHV is for DMFM. And seeing as to the fact that CFTBL has traditionally been seen in 1:37 anyhow, I'm not sure it's inappropriate to view it that way.
I am reminded of a story from some ten years back. When DVDs were gearing up, people kept begging the rightsholders to Republic serials--Artisan at the time--to release the serials on DVD. Artisan finally caved and released THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL. People posted overwhelmingly negative things--everything from "Why are they releasing this? I have it from a pirate already and don't need it!" (not exact words, but close) to "why did they put the FBI warning after every chapter when you watch it one chapter at a time?". The end result was Artisan deciding to tell serial fans where to go and never releasing another serial on DVD.
Universal still has IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, THE GLASS WEB, WINGS OF THE HAWK, and TAZA, SON OF COCHISE that could get 3D Blu releases (as well as JAWS 3D for 80s fans). Let's not discourage such releases by being too negative too fast before the thing even comes out.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Doctorossi said:
You mean for the boxset? I'm not finding an individual release.
On that subject, Bill Hunt offered his Digital Bits:
One thing that makes this especially pleasing for me personally is that a couple years ago at a Blu-Con conference up in Hollywood, I was having a nice conversation about the BD format with USHE president Craig Kornblau and I mentioned specifically that one thing fans were really waiting for on Blu-ray from Universal was the Uni Classic Monsters titles. He was a little on the fence about the idea of releasing them on Blu-ray though because (historically) they've never sold well on disc - even on DVD. Fans always SAY that want them, but then don't actually buy them. So I suggested that the studio should consider putting all the big titles together in one Blu-ray box set and make it a special Halloween-timed release. That way fans who really are serious about wanting them in HD can get them all in one shot for one price, rather than trickling them out a few each year over a longer period (with the risk that the studio might stop before releasing them all). Then the studio can always release the films as singles later. Craig really seemed to warn to the suggestion. And indeed, that appears to be exactly what they've now done - all the big titles will finally appear in one box (and I'd bet that by Halloween next year you'll be able to get them as BD singles too). I'm not sure if our conversation planted the initial bug in his mind or not, but I'm certainly pleased at the news today. In any case, if you guys have been talking about buying these films on disc, now is the time to put your money where your mouth is.
Me, I'm expecting the broken-up scaled-down character-centric Legacy Collections will make one more go-round the next October after average sales for the bulk set (and to prime the pump for more Universal Monsters marketing, including a rumored corporate "Van Helsing" reboot)--
The key 64-dollar question is, assuming we do get a Creature Legacy Collection in October '13 (which we only got on DVD last time because they were hoping to stick Creature and Invisible into a Van Helsing 2), will they go to the trouble of including the 3D "Revenge of Creature", also without fanfare?
Any teasers in that direction, Bob, or is Universal waiting for the fallout?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm sorry Eric, but I have no idea as to their future 3-D plans at this time.
I wish I had more info. :(

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Johnny Angell said:
For instance Julie Adams stands out from the background and is behind the foreground, but she is all on one dimensional plane. And we know she is 3D personified.
Preach, brother! :laugh:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
CREATURE was one of only five 3-D movies also offered to theatres in the single-strip Pola-Lite format. Some information and pictures are near the bottom of this page: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/what-killed-3D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
ijthompson said:
Preach, brother! :laugh:
I just believe that the original intent of the film makers should be followed. Do you think this comes under the topic of aspect ratio? :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Johnny Angell said:
I just believe that the original intent of the film makers should be followed. Do you think this comes under the topic of aspect ratio? :)
My ratio is all over her aspect, man.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I just went on Amazon.co.uk to do a search for region-free blu-rays...Universal's releasing individual titles from the Classic Monsters box set in Britain, INCLUDING the 3D version of "Creature"!!!

Price is 10.49 pounds sterling, which converts roughly to US$17...Release date is October 1st!!!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Question for the 3D experts.

Do the older fifties movies have any pop out the screen moments, i enjoy this, i dislike 3D films which are just depth, i want some depth and pop out effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks