What's new

3D Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942258
My first time seeing Creature was in anaglyph too and I thought it looked pretty good.
Until I saw it in Polaroid.
But a well-done anaglyph image can have depth too...
As it was in the DVD version of THE STEWARDESSES. As the cover said, the 3D effect was much better in Black & White than in color, however....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I like the Creature 3D snapshots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dimensionality seems to be "flat." For instance Julie Adams stands out from the background and is behind the foreground, but she is all on one dimensional plane. And we know she is 3D personified. Is this a limit of the anaglyph system or my computer? If we were watching this through a polarized theatrical system or on a blu-ray 3D, would Creature have full dimensionality?
I won't object if you posted more.:)
Edit: As I look at the figures of Richard Denning and Nestor Paiva, I do see demensionality in their figures. Perhaps I can't see the dimensionality in Julie because she occupies a smaller part of the screen?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Johnny Angell said:
I like the Creature 3D snapshots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dimensionality seems to be "flat." For instance Julie Adams stands out from the background and is behind the foreground, but she is all on one dimensional plane. And we know she is 3D personified. Is this a limit of the anaglyph system or my computer? If we were watching this through a polarized theatrical system or on a blu-ray 3D, would Creature have full dimensionality?
I won't object if you posted more.:)
Edit: As I look at the figures of Richard Denning and Nestor Paiva, I do see demensionality in their figures. Perhaps I can't see the dimensionality in Julie because she occupies a smaller part of the screen?
Make sure you have red over your *right* eye for those stills.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, your Dimensional Eyescopes must have the red lens over your right eye.
Personally, I use non-variable planar OcuDaptors with Bakelite field housings. :cool:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942108
My guess is that Universal is taking a similar stance as Paramount did with Hondo in that they don't think sales would be high enough to invest in a 3D transfer.

Really disappointing if that is their way of thinking, they would maximise sales by putting out a 2D/3D version at the same time, i think this has double dip written all over it but only if Dial M For Murder sells well, i hope people buy that title so we can get more classic 3D cinema released on Blu ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942496

Really disappointing if that is their way of thinking, they would maximise sales by putting out a 2D/3D version at the same time, i think this has double dip written all over it but only if Dial M For Murder sells well, i hope people buy that title so we can get more classic 3D cinema released on Blu ray.

And I intend to buy Dial M For Murder and I am not 3D compatible yet, but if this gets more Golden Age 3D, then it will be time to go 3D. What is out today just does not do it for me.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
ahollis said:
And I intend to buy Dial M For Murder and I am not 3D compatible yet, but if this gets more Golden Age 3D, then it will be time to go 3D.  What is out today just does not do it for me. 
I've had my 2D projector for five years now. I will go 3D if we get more 1950s classics and after the new projectors are out in the fall.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
John Hermes said:
I've had my 2D projector for five years now. I will go 3D if we get more 1950s classics and after the new projectors are out in the fall.
I have about 500 hours left on the bulb of my Sanyo PLV-Z4 720p front projector. When the bulb goes I will get a 1080p 3-D projector. It looks like from reviews that the DLP's have the least amount of crosstalk/ghosting.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942694
I have about 500 hours left on the bulb of my Sanyo PLV-Z4 720p front projector. When the bulb goes I will get a 1080p 3-D projector. It looks like from reviews that the DLP's have the least amount of crosstalk/ghosting.

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm hoping for more than just one title to hang my 3D hat on (well, two since I'd likely pick up the 3D version of Hugo).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942628
You and I, we share a boat.

The boats getting fuller, i'm rowing towards this one too.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
FoxyMulder said:
The boats getting fuller, i'm rowing towards this one too.
The price for 3D ready TV's keeps coming down. I have seen Samsung's 51 inch Plasma for about $600. Its 720p but I work in retail and unless you are only a few feet from the TV, your eyes cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/30#post_3942760
The price for 3D ready TV's keeps coming down. I have seen Samsung's 51 inch Plasma for about $600. Its 720p but I work in retail and unless you are only a few feet from the TV, your eyes cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Here's a seating recommended distance guide for resolution and distance, it covers 720p and 1080p, it also covers lower resolutions and goes into some detail about why.

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Brandon Conway said:
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm hoping for more than just one title to hang my 3D hat on (well, two since I'd likely pick up the 3D version of Hugo).
I already have:
Bolt
Tangled
Open Season
Piranha 3D
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Despicable Me
Imax Deep Sea
Monster House
Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs
Yogi Bear 3D
Monster's VS. Aliens
Imax Under The Sea
Megamind
Michael Jackon's This Is IT
Most I received for free (came with the my Sony 3D TV) or $5 each as one of the bonuses of working retail. Others I just bought the Blu-ray 3D disc on eBay for $15. Otherwise I wouldn't have them. They look OK on my 55 inch Sony 3D TV in my family room as I'm sitting about 13 feet from it - should be 6 or 7 feet for the best 3D effect . But once I get a 3D projector with a 120 inch image and sitting about 14 feet in my home theatre room the 3D image should look a lot better.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brandon Conway said:
I'll refine the above list to my more civilized collection (and by "civilized", I mean that before Cloudy/Meatballs, I'd never seen a movie actually bounce off the walls) of:
Toy Story 2
Tangled
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Monsters vs. Aliens
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Adventures of Tintin
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man
but admit that even with a set, I feel discontented and I'm still waiting for that rush of 50's Golden and 80's Silver Age titles.
I'd have long since bought the PS3-only prints of "Mad Magician" and the Three Stooges "Pardon My Backfire", but I'm waiting for Sony to come to their senses--$29.99 for a short??

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ejanss said:
I'll refine the above list to my more civilized collection (and by "civilized", I mean that before Cloudy/Meatballs, I'd never seen a movie actually bounce off the walls) of:
Toy Story 2
Tangled
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Monsters vs. Aliens
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Adventures of Tintin
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man
but admit that even with a set, I feel discontented and I'm still waiting for that rush of 50's Golden and 80's Silver Age titles.
I'd have long since bought the PS3-only prints of "Mad Magician" and the Three Stooges "Pardon My Backfire", but I'm waiting for Sony to come to their senses--$29.99 for a short??
Yes, $29.99 is too much for Mad Magician when you can buy the 3D Blu-ray of Dial M for Murder for $25.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
It seems doubtful that MM will get a 3D Blu release at this point since WHV is releasing it in 2D MOD through the Archive. Which stinks, because I would totally buy it...even at $30 or $40. What I do not want is to buy a PS3 to download one movie and one short. If Sony released the rest of their 50s 3D catalog for PS3 download, I'd be more receptive to the idea. Until such time, deal me sadly out.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Do I understand this correctly? There is a 3D version of Mad Magician released? And it's only for PS3s?

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
You understand correctly. Again, had Sony released more classics, I would have bought a PS3 and already downloaded them. But all this time and only MM and Pardon My Backfire. Rats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks