What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1709321853385.png

Cagney, Chester Morris and Edward G.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some great news as Obsession/The Hidden Room is coming out on Blu-ray from Indicator.

ccrawford

Premium
Real Name
Cathy
Great news indeed and about time!
Just noticed that this release is US/Canada as well, so no worries about importing and possible customs charge.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1710578898274.png

Yippee! After a six-week absence, "Noir Alley" is back this weekend. Their first film after the hiatus is "Le Samourai" (1967). A French neo-noir directed by Jean-Pierre Melville and staring Alain Delon. Over the years, I've seen bits and pieces of this fine film but never watched it from beginning to end. I'll complete that task this weekend when I finally watch my Criterion Blu-ray and then listened to Eddie's comments.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2024 Schedule:

12-02-23: Black Angel
12-09-23: I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes
12-16-23: Beware, My Lovely
01-06-24: Pickup

01-13-24: I Died a Thousand Times
01-20-24: Stage Fright
01-27-24: Woman in Hiding

03-16-24: Le Samourai

03-23-24: Where Danger Lives
03-30-24: Pushover
04-06-24: Violence

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
View attachment 210945 View attachment 210946

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Woman in Hiding" (1950) starring Ida Lupino, Howard Duff, Stephen McNally, Peggy Dow, John Litel and Taylor Holmes. Directed by Michael Gordon. I've seen this movie beforehand but have little memory of it. Furthermore, I have the 2019 Blu-ray that I haven't watched yet, so I'll take care of that this weekend.

Le Samourai is one of my favorites from Jean-Pierre Melville and wished he made more films but died at an early age of 55 in 1973. Will watch the TCM broadcast this weekend.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 216519
Yippee! After a six-week absence, "Noir Alley" is back this weekend. Their first film after the hiatus is "Le Samourai" (1967). A French neo-noir directed by Jean-Pierre Melville and staring Alain Delon. Over the years, I've seen bits and pieces of this fine film but never watched it from beginning to end. I'll complete that task this weekend when I finally watch my Criterion Blu-ray and then listened to Eddie's comments.

I might not get to this title until later in the week because I'm now concentrating on watching the James Cameron 4K/UHD as well as Westerns during our "Western Challenge".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1711155433820.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Where Danger Lives" (1950) starring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue, Claude Rains, Maureen O'Sullivan and Charles Kemper. It's too bad the quality of this movie doesn't match up with the actors that appeared in it. My last viewing was more than 15 years ago when that Warner Film Noir DVD Boxset Volume 4 came out. I'll probably watch it again, but Robert Mitchum played his share of dummies back in the day. John Farrow directed this movie with his wife, sweet Maureen in the cast.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I meant to talk about it last night and got sidetracked.

I was surprised Eddie liked the ending because I didn't much care for it. They drive home through the whole movie that he's slowly dying from his concussion, and then after collapsing, he's given treatment and is looking at a full recovery and a reunion with his girl (who's AWFULLY forgiving). Of course, he made his BIG mistake the moment he learns she lied about being Rains' daughter. I cannot imagine any scenario that would have forced me back into that house with someone who had lied to me that deliberately.

It was a fun ride with this lunatic, to be fair, and from certain angles, Faith looked JUST like Jane Russell so learning she was Howard Hughes' next protege after Jane was no surprise. Claude Rains got third billing with only one scene in the movie. Amazing what a long career and four Oscar nominations can get for you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I meant to talk about it last night and got sidetracked.

I was surprised Eddie liked the ending because I didn't much care for it. They drive home through the whole movie that he's slowly dying from his concussion, and then after collapsing, he's given treatment and is looking at a full recovery and a reunion with his girl (who's AWFULLY forgiving). Of course, he made his BIG mistake the moment he learns she lied about being Rains' daughter. I cannot imagine any scenario that would have forced me back into that house with someone who had lied to me that deliberately.

It was a fun ride with this lunatic, to be fair, and from certain angles, Faith looked JUST like Jane Russell so learning she was Howard Hughes' next protege after Jane was no surprise. Claude Rains got third billing with only one scene in the movie. Amazing what a long career and four Oscar nominations can get for you.
I watched this movie 3-4 times and I never thought he was slowly dying from the concussion. I just thought his medical condition would worsen before he got better because he should have been in a hospital for observation and rest. I always thought the movie was mediocre at best. However, after watching it this past weekend, I kind of liked it more than beforehand. With that said, Mitchum sure could play the "sap" for the dames. I agree with you that once Rains told him the truth about his marriage then any guy with some commons sense would've left that house without looking back. What a dope! I never cared for the ending too especially with Maureen O'Sullivan being so forgiving towards him. With that said, I can see why some people would have an issue with the confession being so convenient for a happy outcome. Without the Production Code interceding, him taking the fall for a murder he didn't commit would have been a much better ending.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't know that actor Jason Patric's father was Jason Miller (The Exorcist) and that his maternal grandfather was Jackie Gleason.

1711555519351.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks