What's new

3D Could Tommy Wiseau make a 3-D version of THE ROOM? (1 Viewer)

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Tommy Wiseau's The Room has become a famous "so bad it's good" fan favorite since its release in 2003. It's a strange mess of a film in many ways. One of the odd things that happened behind the scenes: it was shot simultaneously on 35mm film and digital video on a side by side camera mount. Why? Who knows, but there you go.

Room Camera Rig.jpeg

No attempt was made to make a stereoscopic image here. I assume, but don't know, that both cameras shot at 24 frames per second. I assume, but don't know, that they attempted to frame them similarly. The interaxial is obviously wide. The shutters would not be in absolute sync (I imagine) even if the frame rates matched up. So, with all of the digital ability to work on 3-D in post, could anything usable be made out of what they have? Or would it be painfully unwatchable (physically, to the eyes, not just the mind warp that it already is)?

Has any film ever been converted to 3-D from two separate unintentional sources?

Just thinking silly things out loud. Thanks for indulging me. :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
All kidding aside, it's a question of formats and shot planning. If the digital camera is DV format, it's a non-starter. If it's HD, maaaaaaaybe. As for shot planning, The Room is a bit of a mess cinematographically and was not shot with 3D in mind. Contrary to what some studios will tell you, you can't just "convert" a film to 3D. Certain types of shots do not lend themselves to 3D and can be quite disorienting in 3D format. So the answer most pertinent here paraphrases Ian Malcolm: You "could" convert The Room to 3D, but that doesn't mean you should.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Has any film ever been converted to 3-D from two separate unintentional sources?

Yes! A number of George Melies films have been converted to 3-D by using side-by-side domestic and international prints.

BTW, I got enough of a headache from THE ROOM in 2-D!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks