What's new

Could Mr. Terrific appear on DVD? (1 Viewer)

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
I got my DVD set of Mr. Terrific in the mail today (ordered in Germany) this is certainly one show I thought I'd NEVER see released on DVD! Anyways quality is fantastic for what it is. The discs are in PAL Region 2 (but anyone with a $60 Philips multi-region converting DVD player will be fine (I have an actual PAL/NTSC multi-standard monitor so the picture looks even better There is Enghish audio on audio track 2 (the only drawback is to remember to switch the audio before playing otherwise it's in German on the default) also the beginning title card is in German ("Immer, Wenn Er Pillen Nahm" instead of )Mr. Terrific", but no big deal.) I also noticed the English voiceover during the beginning credits of the first episode is missing, but is intact in the other episodes I saw (first 4). Anyways what a rarity and great to finally have on DVD! WELL worth the extra effort to get! Now bring on Captain Nice!

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I remember both Mr Terrific and Captain Nice, but I would never have been able to remember the titles of either if it weren't for this thread. I would have been 9 when these came out. I seem to remember that I liked one of them (Captain Nice, probably) and thought the other one was cheesy (funny, since they're both really cheesy from looking at the YouTube clips). I'd love to see these get a US release.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
What was the total cost including shipping in US money?

Originally Posted by progrocktv ">[/url]

I got my DVD set of Mr. Terrific in the mail today (ordered in Germany) this is certainly one show I thought I'd NEVER see released on DVD! Anyways quality is fantastic for what it is. The discs are in PAL Region 2 (but anyone with a $60 Philips multi-region converting DVD player will be fine (I have an actual PAL/NTSC multi-standard monitor so the picture looks even better

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

What was the total cost including shipping in US money?

Total cost was about $44. Kinda pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I bought it together with season 3 of Bionic Woman. You never know what obscure US shows will turn out to be popular in other countries. I remember reading many years ago in TV Guide about how Garrison's Gorillas was hugely popular in China. Hey, maybe we'll find out some day that The Good Guys is considered a classic somewhere.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /forum/thread/240483/could-mr-terrific-appear-on-dvd#post_3618456
What do you think all that secrecy in North Korea is really about?

And don't forget, in Papua New Guinea they worship Jack Sheldon from RUN, BUDDY, RUN like a god.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip on the Mr. Terrific German DVD....might wait a few months and see if there's a US announcement, but I need to have this one way or another. Now, where's Captain Nice???

Betting that these don't hold up well at all, after being horrified at how downright awful The Banana Splits was in retrospect.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Actually, I think Captain Nice, being a product of the Get Smart team, holds up well.

William Daniels: "Mother, what would you do if I told you I could, at any moment, take on the characteristics of a giant bird?"
Alice Ghostley: "I think I'd lay down some newspapers."

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Now that Shout Factory has an agreement with Universal to release Leave it to Beaver, I thought that Mr. Terrific would be a good idea for a release that Shout Factory should consider. Since this was released in Germany last year, it may not be very costly to introduce this to the US, since the video has already been prepared in English (and German) for the Germany release. I hope that there may be a possibility that Shout Factory could work with this studio to make this a reality. This is a fun show and I have noticed many people who remember this and would love to see it again! (I did post this on their message board)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by rcbrad

Now that Shout Factory has an agreement with Universal to release Leave it to Beaver, I thought that Mr. Terrific would be a good idea for a release that Shout Factory should consider. Since this was released in Germany last year, it may not be very costly to introduce this to the US, since the video has already been prepared in English (and German) for the Germany release. I hope that there may be a possibility that Shout Factory could work with this studio to make this a reality. This is a fun show and I have noticed many people who remember this and would love to see it again! (I did post this on their message board)
We already have seen it again - by buying the German release. If I were going to suggest Universal shows for Shout to release, I think I would be more inclined to maybe think about the couple of hundred shows that aren't available already elsewhere.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

We already have seen it again - by buying the German release. If I were going to suggest Universal shows for Shout to release, I think I would be more inclined to maybe think about the couple of hundred shows that aren't available already elsewhere.

I think MR TERRIFIC is TOO NICHE,even for SHOUT! :)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Exactly. And besides, of those few people who would buy it, how many do you think haven't already picked up the German release?

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Maybe so, I am not holding my breath, but it does not hurt to suggest it. I would prefer an American release, instead of the German one. The price is not too high, but it is more than I usually spend for TV DVD releases. If the price came down, I would probably buy it. I already have most of the eps anyway recorded off of German TV. They are not in the best shape, but they are pretty good and certainly watchable.

I can see that if you already picked this set up, many or most would have no interest in supporting this. Maybe for those who are interested in a USA release, you could also contact Shout Factory or post in the message board. It is easy, just provide an e mail and a user name and you are all set to post right away. I am sure that there are more than just a "few" who would like to see this set released in the USA. thanks!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I can think of about 50 short-run series from the 60s that I would like to have which I don't already have a DVD set of already. I think I speak for most when I say it would be better to get those.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /forum/thread/240483/could-mr-terrific-appear-on-dvd/30#post_3656715

sbeamish

Grip
Real Name
Rob
As a committed (perhaps "should be committed") fan of Mr. Terrific, I would also dearly love to see an American release. Though I purchased a couple of the German DVD sets, I'd be very willing to shell out a few more bucks for a Region 1 release, especially if it contained a complete print of the aired pilot and a watchable print of the unaired pilot.

But, logically, I must agree that it's more vital to the collecting community at large to see other shows which are not available at all at this point.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Hey we got a release for Pat Paulsen's Half a comedy hour . So why not Mr Terrific?

Plus i don't have ability to play non region 1 dvds. So i'm all for someone like Shout releasing it in region 1.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by borisfw

Hey we got a release for Pat Paulsen's Half a comedy hour . So why not Mr Terrific?

Plus i don't have ability to play non region 1 dvds. So i'm all for someone like Shout releasing it in region 1.

Maybe because one show is independently owned and the other is owned by a major studio? Maybe because one could be happy with a few thousand sales and the other is owned by a company that expects its releases to sell ten times as many? Do yourself a favor and go on line and get a hack code for your DVD player. You'll be region free in 30 seconds.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Maybe my point was if a show like Paulsen's got a release a show like Mr Terrific might get a release.

I get the point that one is owned by a major company and one is from a small company.

But shows like Tabitha have been released by a major studio (Columbia) so who knows .

Plus these so called major studios have farmed out shows to the smaller companies like Shout .So why not?

Thanks for the info on the hack code . I'll look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks