What's new

Connecting Yamaha 2200 soundbar to Sony TV & Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Colts88

Auditioning
Real Name
GF Austen
Hi folks, Newbie here having some connection issues - I can get very good sound from the blu-ray (Sony BDP S590) to soundbar (Yamaha DSP 2200), but am unable to have Netflix play through the soundbar - have to use TV (Sony KDL EX50 645) speakers, which are not nearly as good. My components and their connections are as follows: [ATTACHMENT=457]AV Set up.docx (290k. docx file)[/ATTACHMENT] The issue, I think (other than my inexperience in setting up any type of home theatre), is that while my soundbar supports ARC, my TV does not. The TV is for some reason recognizing the soundbar as a Yamaha 2200, but is not fully connected to it, as when I go to TV setup and look in devices, it does not have the word "connected" beside it as it does the blu-ray. I suspect it has something to do with either the HDMI out (ARC) on the soundbar or the optical cable connection. Currently, I have the following connections: 1) Sony blu-ray HDMI port connected to the soundbar HDMI port 2) optical cable from the TV to the soundbar 3) HDMI port from soundbar (HDMI OUT) to TV HDMI port As I mentioned, it produces great sound from the blu-ray to soundbar, but no such luck with the TV apps. If any of you could advise me as to the best way to connect these three components so as to get great sound through both Blue-ray AND the TV apps such as Netflix, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! [img]https://static.hometheaterforu...304610-sony-kdl-50ex645-rear-ports.jpeg[/img]

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Connect the toslink from the TV to the soundbar. (that would be the digital audio output on the TV that resides just above the LAN. Your soundbar has two of them to choose from) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-3-6-12-25-50FT-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Audio-Cable-Wire-S-PDIF-DTS-DOLBY-/261153342722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3ccdf3c502

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also, right next to the LAN you have an analog. Have one of these laying around? (the same cable you'd use to connect your phone to it) http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Adapter-Cables-1-8th-Inch-Speaker-to-Stereo-RCA-A1-/160893800264?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2576048f48

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Heck, it even looks like your soundbar has a 1/8th...one of your phones in the house...did it come with one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cable-ST35MM-06-Stereo-Feet/dp/B002JCOX5U/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359399593&sr=1-11&keywords=1%2F8th+cable Edit: Nevermind on the 1/8th. Yes that is a 1/8th...the camera angle just left me guessing...that 1/8th is for IR control.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But your TV doesn't have ARC. Your soundbar is 2.1(or is it 2.0? is there a sub?) HDMI=toslink, period. (in this case) If you had 5.1 then we could talk about why HDMI is important. In your case...it isn't. I gave you two options. Toslink and 1/8th to RCA. I doubt you can tell a difference. And regarding your "I currently have this connected"...which one? toslink or 1/8th-RCA?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then that is the best there is...even if the TV supported ARC...there would be ZERO difference in sound. Matter of fact, that is all ARC does. Take out the need for the toslink/digital coax(some TV have digital coax instead...which your soundbar has one of those as well...the orange one)

Colts88

Auditioning
Real Name
GF Austen
And when I rely only on optical cable by unplugging the HDMI from HDMI OUT (ARC) on the soundbar to HDMI 1 on the TV, I get no picture from the blu-ray to the TV, although I still get sound to the soundbar. Thoughts?

Colts88

Auditioning
Real Name
GF Austen
I may have found a way around my difficulties, although I have not yet figured out the issue b/w the TV apps and the soundbar. I can run apps such as Netflix through the blu-ray - I get great sound that way with BOTH the apps and the blu-rays or DVD's I play. Still not sure why it did not work through the TV though. My TV does not support ARC, yet I am running the HDMI from soundbar through the HDMI OUT (ARC) port into the TV. Now that I am accessing Netflix through the blu-ray, I get great sound and picture, so problem side-stepped (although it wold be more convenient to access Netflix through the TV). Anyone care to explain the connection discrepancy?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no "discrepancy". Your BD player connects to the soundbar, the soundbar sends the video to the TV. You have "apps" in the TV. It is possible that the "app audio" is stuck in the TV. I have a Panasonic and it has Facebook and Pandora(amongst other stuff) and the sound from both(videos played on Facebook) is locked in the TV. And no, the manual for the TV does not say the audio is locked in the TV. It merely says "audio is output via the tuner and inputs". Apparently, for Panasonic..."apps" is not an input and "apps" is most certainly not the tuner.

Colts88

Auditioning
Real Name
GF Austen
If that is the case, and it may well be, I am happy that my BD player also is wifi and can stream apps. I would be bummed if I had to listen to relatively crappy TV speakers on Netflix after getting used to the great Yamaha 2200 sound. It would be the equivalent of watching HD movies with your eyes half shut! Thanks for the input Schan!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks