connecting PC to samsung home theater HT-DS610

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by TIMTOM447, Feb 25, 2011.

1. TIMTOM447

TIMTOM447 Auditioning

Hi, i purchased a Samsung home theater HT-DS610 from a friend of mine and have been playing with it and a new projector. I have gotten my lap top connected to the projector fine but the audio only plays out of my laptop and is not very exciting. Is there any way i can get my lap top to play out of my surround sound? My laptop only has a head phone jack and i tried connecting an double male AUX wire from my lap top to the "phones" jack on my surround sound but i am actually assuming that is output. is there anyway that i can do this? Thanks

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    You could get a cheap external sound card and hook it to your optical input on your receiver. http://www.amazon.com/External-Stereo-Surround-optical-digital/dp/B003VWII3A/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298682458&sr=1-20

3. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Supporting Actor

If your laptop doesn't have a line out (most do - and you could just run it to an unused line in on your receiver .. CD maybe?) you could try running your headphone out from your laptop to an AUX line input on your surround sound receiver - use a mini-phono to RCA Y adapter - and experiment with the speaker level on your laptop so you don't overdrive the input on your receiver (it's looking for line level rather than speaker level).