What's new

connecting a subwoofer to a sound bar using optical (2 Viewers)

notty

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Nott
hi there i am looking at buying a sound bar but it needs a sub woofer which i have however the only input for the sub is the red and white phono inputs and the only inputs on the sound bar is 2xoptical and 1xwhat looks like a headphone jack, is there any way of getting the bass from the audio that is going to the soundbar and sending it to the sub woofer??

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Really, unless the soundbar has it's own dedicated subwoofer output, you're not going to be able to combine your own subwoofer with just any sound bar.

Most sound bars that support a subwoofer are going to come with one - often times they are "wireless", so even then you may not be able to swap out that sub with your current sub.

As with most things electronics-related these days, trying to get something "new" to work with something "older" is frustratingly difficult and often ultimately more expensive.

notty

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Nott
thanks for the reply....that has answered my question...i'll give up on that idea and get a setup with a sub

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
thanks for the reply....that has answered my question...i'll give up on that idea and get a setup with a sub

A great 2.1 or 5.1 soundbar with sub is a line by vizio. I've had the 5.1 (which only decodes DD and DTS) and it was amazing, the sub was very powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks