What's new

Confirmation on advice to a friend (1 Viewer)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
I have a buddy was about to pull the trigger on a Velodyne CHT10 for 400.00, and recommended he consider the Vance Dickenson Kit from Parts Express with the 10" Titanic sub.
Tell me if I led him in the wrong direction. The Vance Dickenson sub was 350 and looked sign. better numbers wise.
BTW, this is for someone that had to stretch to 350.00 range and SVS did not meet his wife's approval. Also, I am going to help him out but don't want to live over at his house putting together a Tempest Sonosub etc...
Thanks for your feedback.:)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone? He is ready to move today and I am confident this quasi-DIY project would be better for him than the off the shelf sub.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I'm not familiar wit the Velodyne, but experience tells me that kits offer better performance for less money than a regular speaker or subwoofer. For close to the same price, a kit should definitely outperform a store-bought sub. Besides, you compared the numbers and say the PE sub is better, so this should be a no-brainer. And it will be an EASY kit to build

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My only concern is the CHT is a vented design I believe and the Dickenson kit is sealed. So the CHT may extend lower. There have also been some complaints about the box that comes with the Dickenson kit. Although that complaint was easily fixed by just wedging a couple vertical braces into the box and adding a bunch of polyfill.

However, given how much better the 10" Titanic driver will be than what will be in the CHT10 and how high the CHT10 is likely tuned, I guess it is probable that even down low the Dickenson kit will be superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimmyboombotts
Recent bookmarks