What's new

Component Video Question (1 Viewer)

Alex J.

Auditioning
I am considering getting an HDTV and wondered if Component Inputs would suffice for 480p, 720p, and 1080i or do I need to get one with DVI or HDMI?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Component inputs will work fine for all those formats. Not as clean a signal path though due to the video being converted from digital to analog by the STB, then back to digital from analog for the display (for most displays - some older HD displays may not convert to digital). The practical difference may be barely noticable or not noticable at all.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The fear herem is that in the future there is a chance no HD will be available via component/analog video. But right now, there are really no drawbacks to it.

I don't have DVI / HDMI, I deemed it an exceptable trade off for me with my display choice.

Alex J.

Auditioning
that's true...maybe DVI and HDMI are what I need to jump to, to keep me compatible with the upcoming HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD formats as well.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
My stepdad just got a new DirecTV HDTV receiver that won't seem to pass any resolution higher than 480p through the component out. I'm not sure of the model # but it is from Best Buy.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Something's set up wrong. Got the manual? It wouldn't be able to have the HDTV logo on the front if it didn't pass 1080i or 720p.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Some set-top boxes do weird things, so it doesn't surprise me, but component video is capable of HD resolutions if it's utilized.

rin

Stunt Coordinator

You are absolutely right it was operator error. Originally, I had the DirecTV receiver's resolution set to output 480p/1080i but the TV( an older Mits 65" HD-ready set) would only accept up to 480p through it's component input. It went blue screen with anything higher.

The TV does have a "DTV" input (Component/RGBHV)that the manual says will accept 1080i so I changed to that input but still only got 480p. kept After messing with it for a while, my stepdad set the STB's resolution to "all" and finally got 1080i!

I guess I heard somewhere that STB's would eventually be limited to only pass full-res HD signals through their digital outs and the analog connections would down-res to 480i/p. I just assumed that this box did that.

Thenks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks