What's new
World Wide Stereo

Component Cables for Progressive Scan/HDTV (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
In hooking-up my xp30 progressive scan dvd player and my HD set-top box to my new HDTV:

I will be using two component cables, I know, but are there component cables made specifically for progressive scan and/or high definition TV that I don't know about, or are all component cables usable for these two tasks?

I guess I'm asking whether there are different grades of component cables and if there are, what should I be going with?

--Dale

728x90

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator

Well, to the average audio/video guy like myself, I don't see much difference in component cables. I have an xp-30 myself and the dish network hd6000u receiver. I have hooked it up using "thx" monster cables and also with the cheap component cables that came with the 6000u. Not really enough difference to warrant the money for the "thx" monster cables, but I feel like I'm getting the most with the "thx" cables. There are alot of different cables out there in all price ranges, just go with what your comfortable with. Maybe the high end guys have more info on the more expensive cables.

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
Most decent component cables will work fine for you. You can get some lower priced ones at Radio Shack, Target, etc.

CJ

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit more cynical in that if the cables say "Component", they only have to handle the 1940's component video signals which top out at 4 Mhz. Progressive goes up to 13 Mhz and 720/1080 go up to 35 Mhz.

The custom cable sites sell cable built from coax with all the technical data to back up that they handle 35 Mhz signals just fine. And the custom cables start at about $50 so it's not much more than the cheaper cables from Radio Shack or Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks