What's new

Comparable Size speaker to Bose with Better Sound (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well I Never thought that I would see the day I would go for small sattelite speakers instead of my floor standing full range speakers but I am REALLY tired of moving 80+ib speakers.

After my last move I decided that for the time being it would be best for me to sell my large Home Theater speakers and get something that is easy to move (Weight & Size). Currently I am running Infinity Interlude 60's up front, IL-10 surrounds, and a IL-36 center channel. Although I love the sound this last move nearly killed me. (not enough room for them and they are heavy.

So what I am looking for is something around the size of a Bose speaker but something with Quality components and not paper cons. I always hear when Bose threads come up that you can get a better speaker that is of comparable size so what are they? Any Suggestions?

KyleS

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Well like I always tell people, regardless of how well a speaker is designed, it can't defy physics. You just will not find speakers the size of the Bose Acoustimass satellites that will sound as full as your 80 lb. towers. However, speakers that sound better than the Bose aren't that hard to find.

Probably the best small speaker I've heard are the ones by Anthony Gallo:

http://roundsound.com/products/micro_adiva.html

Small, pretty decent sound reproduction and dare I say even better looking than the Bose speakers.

Haven't heard these, but the guys at av123.com are pretty well known on these and other forums for producing good speakers and selling them at reasonable prices:

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=36.1

And as JamesCB recommends, the Cambridge Soundwork's cube speakers should perform quite admirably for their size as well.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...item=k1pkm28zz

Victor

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Boston Acoustic makes nice little satelites. Heard them at a dealer and they weren't bad at all. Heavy little suckers, tho.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kyle,

It seems to me like you're going from one extreme to the other. You can get speakers much smaller and physically manageable than the Infinitys without resorting to stuff as diminutive as the Bose. For instance, speakers with 5-1/4” or 6” woofers should be small enough to meet your portability requirements, but they will sound much better than any cube-sized speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Energy Take 5 series is still regarded as one of the best micro speaker systems available and they're quite reasonably priced as well.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I would also say that a medium-small satellite system with a woofer even as small as 5.25" would provide some very nice, loud performance. I heard an exceptional performance by some Klipsch speakers I listened to. They were Synergies, but I would expect the Reference bookshelves to give even better performance. I would not go as small as the Reference satellites just because I am of the impression that a plastic enclosure like the RSX cannot match solid wood or heavy, nonresonant plastic (like the Def Tech cabinets) stuff in sonic integrity. Take a look at both the Klipsch RB-series and even the Definitive PowerPonitors (those speakers are freaking small but still have the guts to pound out the bass with authority). The Def Techs or the Klipsch (when the Klipsch are paired with a powered sub) will provide the replacement you want, without going so far as to get micro speakers.

In the event that you need micro speakers, however, I would recommend staying away from the little cubes except as part of an Ensemble system or as surround speakers. I have an Ensemble system, and the little speakers do not dip as deeply into the midbass as I would expect them to in order to be sufficient replacements for the big towers. However, once they are mated with the sub, it is a whole different story. They are small speakers, plain and simple. I only own the Ensemble System as a small speaker system, and I don't expect them to have exceptionally loud output. The HomeTheaterDirect Middies are probably the same story. You need some woofer displacement, otherwise the satellites and the sub will sound disconnected because the sub will be big and bad, and the speakers will have to pound very hard to keep up. You need the "effortless" sound that bigger, bookshelf-size speakers can deliver. Nothing else will quite come close as a replacement for your big, effortless towers.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Wayne,

I do feel the need to get smaller speakers not only to get rid of the hassle of moving my large speakers but also because I have two small boys. I would love to get something that can be mounted to the wall itself. I love my IL-10 bookshelf speakers but even they are too heavy to hang on the wall. I will have to take a look at the Anthony Gallo speakers as they look close to what I would like at this point in my life. When the kids are older and I am a little more settled I can see myself getting full Range speakers again but until that time comes I am willing to give up performace for convenience.

KyleS

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
How about the HTD Middies? I have never heard them, but all I have read about them is very positive.
Home Theater Direct
Or how about these, the RAD Micros, these look to be excellent little speakers.
Rutledge Audio Design

Or, the Radius by Monitor Audio, they are new and I really know nothing about them, but they are more than likely worth auditioning. They are not on the American website yet.
Monitor Audio Radius

And, last but not least, Pinnacle has gotten very good reviews of their Quantum Subsonic system.
Pinnacle Speakers

These four systems offer Bose size, but should handily outperform them.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I was thinking about buying some Jamo speakers as my surrounds. I need something quite small like yourself...

I have heard them before, and was very impressed. The Great Indoors sells them.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Let me also throw the Definitive Technologies ProCinema 60 series out there. A buddy of mine has the 80s in a fairly large (18 x 26 x 10) room and they really do a great job with acoustics and dynamics -- a tad bright for my ear, but superb for the size & price. The 60s are just a tad smaller.

His 80s are also supported by a ProCinema 100 center and quite capable 10" DefTech sub, so YMMV ...

Mike:Corb

Stunt Coordinator
how come no one has suggested the new HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 set. I have not heard them yet, but I am going to be ordering them and I have heard great things about them.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
How about Mirage Omnisats? There pretty sweet and deliver a wide open soundstage.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I think going with micro speakers is a bit extreme for your situation, and you'll probably regret it when you have to live with the sound quality.

An option that will give you good sound quality, out of the way placement, and not too much trouble when moving is on-walls. Check out the ACI Emerald On-Wall, and the NHT L5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks