What's new

Commercials that just irritate you.... (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Daxter for PSP... I know these are games, and the ads are targeted at kids, but jeez!

I don't think it would be possible to make these things more stupid. Whether it's the two squirrels trying to sound "street" or the two, well, hairballs, for want of a better term, trying to sound like bad Cheech Marin impersonators.

"I'd arrest all the men, and take all the women in the world to Las Vegas and marry them."

Oh, yeah, I can see the Jerry Springer show now:

Inarticulate, stupid hairballs and the women who were stupid enough to marry them.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
the two, well, hairballs, for want of a better term, trying to sound like bad Cheech Marin impersonators.
I've never understood who this was marketed at. You have to be a hairball to play the PSP?

Another in the screaming vein is the Radio Shack commercial with the pit crew, jacking up the red chair while the crew chief sits and screams and yells during the whole commercial.

Bruce

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Paul McElligott said:
Now, on the other hand, if Vonage commercials had Uma Thurman and a lot of over-the-top, gratuitous violence...
Actually, the only thing from Kill Bill Vol. 1 that I would LIKE to see more of, in a commercial or otherwise, is Chiaki Kuriama aka Go Go.
I'd consider buying a phone plan from Go Go. ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The really bad thing about the VW crash commercials is the fact that if the VW drivers had been doing their job and paying attention the accidents would not have occurred in the first place. Taking off across an intersection when the light turns green without looking to see if cross traffic is coming at high speed is inexcusable.

The implication is that it's ok to drive like a mindless dweeb because the car is supposed to save your careless nether portion.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Steve, it's because SO many people DO drive like mindless dweebs :D - The commerical is capitalizing off of peoples stupidity and lack of driving skills.
Like I've always said, people don't want want to improve their driving skills, they'd rather improve on the safety features to save their clueless ass in an accident.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've been hearing one all day today that's annoyed me. Some beer ad with a song that goes, "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me? Don't you wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?" No! I guess if this is your type of music, it will be less annoying for you.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I like the VW crash commercials; they're certainly effective. And I don't there is much point in saying they are stupid because the drivers weren't being cautious enough. If everyone was anticipating an accident every time, there wouldn't be any accidents. Also, the red light one, they don't really just take off, and it was dark so they wouldn't necessarily be able to tell the truck wasn't going to stop. And there just comes a point when you have to trust the other drivers are going to follow the rules of the road too. "Hey, don't go through the intersection yet, those headlights are only a block away!"
I also like the new Toyota Yaris commericals and the VW "umpimp" campaign. Most of the commercials I hate are on the radio, because I TiVo through everything else.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Forgot about this one. This one makes me want to crawl into a corner and rock myself until the bad man goes away.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I tried to get caught up with the thread, but I missed your earlier thread. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds it disturbing.
Also, I generally like the Geico ads, but this recent batch with the gekko saying things that don't make sense are not for me.
"Of course they want free pie and chips! It's pie. With chips. For free!"

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Geico gekko has a Brit accent, right? "Pie and Chips" would be meat pie and french fries, a popular lunch selection in less trendy eating establishments in old Blighty. No, I've never been there but watch a lot of BBC America (which runs about the worst commercials on TV).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It wasn't that I didn't know what they were, it's just that I'm hearing the thing talking, and it isn't making much sense. The message he's trying to impart about Geico insurance gets lost in the bizarre writing and delivery.
"It's just a wee orphan of truth, looking for a home. In someone's ear."

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of this whole talking GEICO gecko. My uncles girlfriend was like "Did you see the Gecko is now talking!!!" - correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he originally talk? way back when they first introduced him?
Remember the commercial where he's in the shower and the phone rings and he runs out to answer it...that was one of the first Gecko commercials and he talked. If I recall, it was a different voice.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I don't know if this was mentioned or not. The latest ProActive acne commercials are a complete ripoff of the old Progressive Auto Insurance commercials. (This is radio, btw.) A girl calls and talks to a CS rep and asks for "the catch". "There's no catch, ma'am." Blah blah blah, and at the end, "oh, I did forget one thing" "I knew it, a catch!" "No, it's free." Or something to that effect. Progressive had the exact same commercial a couple of months ago. Or it may have been Geico, I don't know. All I know is that I find plagarism in commercials highly annoying. Especially when it is so blatant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks