What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Here are excerpts from a 2009 interview that 91-year-old A.C. Lyles did with Jon Zelazny, in which Lyles spoke of his operating methods:

“How did you first begin producing Westerns?

Paramount had a board meeting. They asked me to come in, and they said, “We have a problem. There’s no Western on the schedule.” I said, “Well, I have a great script.” And I did it. And it made money. And they said, “How many can you make a year?” I said, “Five!” They said, “Go make ‘em!”

Who did you report to?

I didn’t report to anyone. I told them I could only do it if I didn’t have a committee. I usually came up with an original story. I didn’t write screenplays—writers wrote the scripts—I just started it, cast it, made it, and shipped it to New York. I didn’t tell anybody what the story was, or what it would cost. I was a one-man studio within a major studio, and that was the only way I could make them.

What was a schedule like for one of your pictures?

I never told anybody.

(pause)

And you’re still not?

I never told Paramount what they cost. Because you don’t preview a budget, you preview a picture. Vincent Canby once wrote a story about me. It was called “Money Invested, Money Returned,” and his opening line was, “A.C. Lyles has been the most profitable producer in the history of Paramount Pictures.” And it was true.

I only managed to find one of them at my video store: Johnny Reno (1966), with Dana Andrews and—

Jane Russell. Who else was in that one?

Lon Chaney, Jr. Richard Arlen. A lot of old-timers.

Those were my buddies. I always tried…

He indicates the poster of his film Black Spurs (1965).

Rory Calhoun, Linda Darnell, Scott Brady, Lon Chaney, Richard Arlen, Bruce Cabot, and Terry Moore. They’d call me and say, “When do we start the next one?” I’d say, “Three weeks.”

Were they studio contract players? Or was that system already gone?

They called them “The Lyles Posse.” I used them a lot. Richard Arlen had done so many Westerns in his time. When I was an office boy, he told me I’d be a producer some day, and that he wanted to be in every picture I made… and I never made a picture without Richard Arlen! And all the other people on the lot who were my friends… they did so much for me. So much.”

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Paramount didn't release many peplum films back in the day. I wonder if they would still hold U.S. rights to 1962's SIEGE OF SYRACUSE, with Tina Louise, and 1963's DUEL OF THE TITANS with Steve Reeves and Gordon Scott.

pbyq.jpg
uyx4.jpg

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
rdimucci said:
Here are excerpts from a 2009 interview that 91-year-old A.C. Lyles did with Jon Zelazny, in which Lyles spoke of his operating methods:

“How did you first begin producing Westerns?

Paramount had a board meeting. They asked me to come in, and they said, “We have a problem. There’s no Western on the schedule.” I said, “Well, I have a great script.” And I did it. And it made money. And they said, “How many can you make a year?” I said, “Five!” They said, “Go make ‘em!”

Who did you report to?

I didn’t report to anyone. I told them I could only do it if I didn’t have a committee. I usually came up with an original story. I didn’t write screenplays—writers wrote the scripts—I just started it, cast it, made it, and shipped it to New York. I didn’t tell anybody what the story was, or what it would cost. I was a one-man studio within a major studio, and that was the only way I could make them.

What was a schedule like for one of your pictures?

I never told anybody.

(pause)

And you’re still not?

I never told Paramount what they cost. Because you don’t preview a budget, you preview a picture. Vincent Canby once wrote a story about me. It was called “Money Invested, Money Returned,” and his opening line was, “A.C. Lyles has been the most profitable producer in the history of Paramount Pictures.” And it was true.

I only managed to find one of them at my video store: Johnny Reno (1966), with Dana Andrews and—

Jane Russell. Who else was in that one?

Lon Chaney, Jr. Richard Arlen. A lot of old-timers.

Those were my buddies. I always tried…

He indicates the poster of his film Black Spurs (1965).

Rory Calhoun, Linda Darnell, Scott Brady, Lon Chaney, Richard Arlen, Bruce Cabot, and Terry Moore. They’d call me and say, “When do we start the next one?” I’d say, “Three weeks.”

Were they studio contract players? Or was that system already gone?

They called them “The Lyles Posse.” I used them a lot. Richard Arlen had done so many Westerns in his time. When I was an office boy, he told me I’d be a producer some day, and that he wanted to be in every picture I made… and I never made a picture without Richard Arlen! And all the other people on the lot who were my friends… they did so much for me. So much.”

I LOVE that interview. Is there any more to it?

And I like how Lyles worked. He got the job done without unnecessary fuss or expense -- just like Roger Corman was doing across down. Just let the filmmakers & the actors do what they do. That's how films get made and get profitable.

Suddenly I want to get my hands on all of Lyle's films.

Thanks for posting the interview.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Richard--W said:
I LOVE that interview. Is there any more to it?

And I like how Lyles worked. He got the job done without unnecessary fuss or expense -- just like Roger Corman was doing across down. Just let the filmmakers & the actors do what they do. That's how films get made and get profitable.

Suddenly I want to get my hands on all of Lyle's films.

Thanks for posting the interview.
You can find the complete interview with A.C. Lyles here:

http://eightmillionstories.com/archive.php?gvID=144

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've only seen 5 of the A.C. Lyles Westerns. They were nothing groundbreaking and they were low-budget but they accomplished what they intended to do which was be Fun and Entertaining. I would buy them if they were released with decent prints with good color and Widescreen. The decent prints with good color issue maybe the reason they haven't been released.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Aside from DUEL OF THE TITANS, Paramount released a few other peplum titles, such as SEVEN SLAVES AGAINST THE WORLD.

I've never forgotten a mid-1960's triple bill that I attended, of which each film seemed intended for a different audience:

GIRLS GIRL GIRLS (Elvis)
SHOCK CORRIDOR (Sam Fuller)
SEVEN SLAVES AGAINST THE WORLD

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Randy Korstick said:
I've only seen 5 of the A.C. Lyles Westerns.
Only five of the films have ever been on video:

Apache Uprising
Hostile Guns
Arizona Bushwhackers
Buckskin
Johnny Reno

All were released on VHS, and the first four were on laserdisc. Johnny Reno is the only one on DVD. All the VHS and laserdisc releases were full-frame.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Jobla said:
Aside from DUEL OF THE TITANS, Paramount released a few other peplum titles, such as SEVEN SLAVES AGAINST THE WORLD.
DUEL OF THE TITANS was directed by noted spaghetti western director Sergio Corbucci (DJANGO, NAVAJO JOE, THE MERCENARY, THE GREAT SILENCE, COMPANEROS).

y7yt.jpg

SEVEN SLAVES AGAINST THE WORLD starred Roger Browne, Gordon Mitchell, and Scilla Gabel, and opened in the U.S. in August 1965. A month later, Paramount released another film with the same three stars, REVENGE OF THE GLADIATORS.

xalx.jpg

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Another costume picture that Paramount released, but may no longer control, is 1964's THE SON OF CAPTAIN BLOOD, starring Errol Flynn's son, Sean.

7w6y.jpg

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
One thing about the above link I forgot to add...Scroll down to Part 5 for the start of the Lyles information.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks to you both for the links.

Let's hope Olive Films will evaluate the elements and consider releasing the Lyle westerns in their next go-round, if there is another go-round after this one's completed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My copy of God's Little Acre is not expected to reach me tomorrow.

Amazon is telling me:
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.
Wonder why the delay?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
SON OF CAPTAIN BLOOD features an embarrassing debut by Sean Flynn, but it does have an unexpectedly ambitious climax which was somewhat reminiscent of George Pal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
My copy of God's Little Acre is not expected to reach me tomorrow.

Amazon is telling me:

Wonder why the delay?
For the most part, Olive releases don't reach me by release date from Amazon. They usually arrive on Thursday. The title in question is shipping today to me along with 3-4 other Olive titles. However, That Touch of Mink isn't one of them.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I picked up THAT TOUCH OF MINK and GOD"S LITTLE ACRE last week in Europe. When I am in New York and I order from Amazon, Olive titles they are ALWAYS late......why?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And those are the 5 I have seen. I believe I still have 1 or 2 on Laserdisc.
rdimucci said:
Only five of the films have ever been on video:

Apache Uprising
Hostile Guns
Arizona Bushwhackers
Buckskin
Johnny Reno

All were released on VHS, and the first four were on laserdisc. Johnny Reno is the only one on DVD. All the VHS and laserdisc releases were full-frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks