What's new

Comic Collecting (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Agreed. As a huge fan/collector/supporter of Collected Editions (CE's) - I find them far superior to the original floppies (individual comics) in most cases. This especially holds true if you're comparing comics from the early 1980's (and earlier) vs. CE's of the same material. I.e., older comics were printed on the cheap newsprint with sub-par color; the paper was very flimsy and typically yellowed/deteriorated quickly.

Conversely, CE's are typically printed on far superior paper w/remastered & much more advanced coloring techniques. The differences are profound & immediately obvious. I.e., most of these reprints look far better than the makers of the original comics probably ever thought possible.
Although on the other hand, the reprints don't typically include the original ads, which I find to be very entertaining time capsules.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I just acquired a very nice run of Adventure Comics. HOLY BLAST! As I was grading them today I thought this one has to be the stupidest Baseball reference comic book cover of all-time. Can anyone top this?

Adventure_Comics-345_9.4_ow:w.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Not being a baseball fan (or a fan of sports in general), I can't top it.

But I am envious of your "nice run" of Adventure Comics. I find it somewhat frustrating that there isn't even one Omnibus volume of Superboy stories -- or even the older Archive Editions -- beyond any Superboy or Adventure issues that involved the Legion of Super-Heroes.

There's only two straight Superboy collections that cover up through the Silver Age. The first includes the earliest Superboy stories from More Fun Comics #101-107, and Adventure Comics #103-121. The second only includes three early Superboy stories (the first also being in the other collection above) that aren't Legion connected.

Advs of Superboy.jpg
Superboy75.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Not being a baseball fan (or a fan of sports in general), I can't top it.

But I am envious of your "nice run" of Adventure Comics. I find it somewhat frustrating that there isn't even one Omnibus volume of Superboy stories -- or even the older Archive Editions -- beyond any Superboy or Adventure issues that involved the Legion of Super-Heroes.

There's only two straight Superboy collections that cover up through the Silver Age. The first includes the earliest Superboy stories from More Fun Comics #101-107, and Adventure Comics #103-121. The second only includes three early Superboy stories (the first also being in the other collection above) that aren't Legion connected.

View attachment 191073 View attachment 191074
Thanks Jerry. I had to look up what Omnibus was. It is surprising that the entire run of Adventure Comics aren't available in that format. Books from this era in high grade, even the titles which are not considered the most desirable have become so expensive it would be impossible to attempt to collect them all. But I imagine that reading copies would be within reach for most everyone.

I'm not a big fan of Superboy or The Legion but the collector I acquired them from has lots more stuff which I am a big fan of. That's why I purchased the run.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
There was a decades long legal battle over the Superboy character with the Jerry Siegel heirs and DC/Warner. That probably made sharing Superboy reprint profits with the Siegel heirs, if they won, something DC didn't want to do.

Reading about the lawsuits made my head spin.

It was mentioned that, certain aspects of Superman, Lois Lane, and Batman will be in the Public Domain in 2034.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I just acquired a very nice run of Adventure Comics. HOLY BLAST! As I was grading them today I thought this one has to be the stupidest Baseball reference comic book cover of all-time. Can anyone top this?

I miss having captions on comic book covers, along with a "money shot" of the most dramatic scene of the issue. Puts you right in the story.

Here though... I can only guess the writer stayed up late after a doubleheader and more than a few beers to write these captions. That's some very strained (and nerdy) word play.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
There was a decades long legal battle over the Superboy character with the Jerry Siegel heirs and DC/Warner. That probably made sharing Superboy reprint profits with the Siegel heirs, if they won, something DC didn't want to do.

Reading about the lawsuits made my head spin.

It was mentioned that, certain aspects of Superman, Lois Lane, and Batman will be in the Public Domain in 2034.
I had no idea about that but it sounds like more excitement than any Superboy story ever written! :lol:
I miss having captions on comic book covers, along with a "money shot" of the most dramatic scene of the issue. Puts you right in the story.
Are you saying that modern comic book covers have no captions?
Here though... I can only guess the writer stayed up late after a doubleheader and more than a few beers to write these captions. That's some very strained (and nerdy) word play.
Yes quite a stretch. But when I wrote terrible above I kinda meant that DC Comics (we called them Dumb Comics) were very often so bad they were good. I guess because we grew up with them we just loved them despite the blandness and the stupidity. And I'm not referring to all DC comics, just mostly the Superman family books.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Are you saying that modern comic book covers have no captions?

Yes quite a stretch. But when I wrote terrible above I kinda meant that DC Comics (we called them Dumb Comics) were very often so bad they were good. I guess because we grew up with them we just loved them despite the blandness and the stupidity. And I'm not referring to all DC comics, just mostly the Superman family books.

Yes, I'd say captions on covers (as in character speech/thought bubbles) started to go out of style by the end of the 1970s, and have been almost nonexistent since the late '80s (in the case of superhero titles anyway).

Brief blurbs/subtitles on covers about the story content lasted a little longer, but I think even they became rare after the 90s or so.

Additionally, these days most covers do not depict story elements from the issue anymore. They are now just random hero poses, which apparently collectors like to buy for the art. To me they are frustrating, because it is hard to know if you have read a particular issue before without opening it up.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Yes, I'd say captions on covers (as in character speech/thought bubbles) started to go out of style by the end of the 1970s, and have been almost nonexistent since the late '80s (in the case of superhero titles anyway).

Brief blurbs/subtitles on covers about the story content lasted a little longer, but I think even they became rare after the 90s or so.

Additionally, these days most covers do not depict story elements from the issue anymore. They are now just random hero poses, which apparently collectors like to buy for the art. To me they are frustrating, because it is hard to know if you have read a particular issue before without opening it up.
Interesting. Despite many fellow collectors telling me otherwise, I'm stuck in the past rarely having ever read a modern comic book. I'm content with that. Actually I don't read any comic books, past or present anymore.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Interesting. Despite many fellow collectors telling me otherwise, I'm stuck in the past rarely having ever read a modern comic book. I'm content with that. Actually I don't read any comic books, past or present anymore.
I have not collected comics for a very long time, but have some awareness of what is going on today through following some Reddit comics discussion groups.

Recently I discovered ways to access vintage comics online, and sometimes like to read titles from the '30s to '80s. '30s-'50s issues are especially fun to read as they seem to follow very few rules, and offer an amusing contrast to today's heavily regimented comics world.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I have not collected comics for a very long time, but have some awareness of what is going on today through following some Reddit comics discussion groups.

Recently I discovered ways to access vintage comics online, and sometimes like to read titles from the '30s to '80s. '30s-'50s issues are especially fun to read as they seem to follow very few rules, and offer an amusing contrast to today's heavily regimented comics world.
That is certainly a good, inexpensive option. All my best books are now certified and even those which are not I will no longer handle as they are mostly ultra high grade.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That is certainly a good, inexpensive option. All my best books are now certified and even those which are not I will no longer handle as they are mostly ultra high grade.
If you have really early Superman titles I can certainly understand that. My collection is not that valuable, and mostly from the '80s. Don't think I have many issues that would go for big money. Although I also don't really know a reliable means of pricing them. So I haven't bothered to certify anything. Also, I like to be able to read through everything once in a while.(very carefully of course)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
If you have really early Superman titles I can certainly understand that.
I have a smattering of many many titles ranging from the 1930's through the end of the Silver-Age. I'm not a huge fan of certification but I'd never handle these books either way except to scan.
My collection is not that valuable, and mostly from the '80s. Don't think I have many issues that would go for big money. Although I also don't really know a reliable means of pricing them. So I haven't bothered to certify anything.
If your books are all from the 80's it's unlikely you have anything of considerable value. Of course, the grade is paramount. There are websites that can help you appraise your books but you must know how to grade professionally.
Also, I like to be able to read through everything once in a while.(very carefully of course)
If I wanted to read any I'd use the options described here. Now decades later I still invest in books because I love the cover art.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Happy to say I have 100% gifted all my old comics to my nephew. He is 1000% the fan I ever was and really good at arbitrages selling off stuff he doesn’t want for stuff he does.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In all of my years as a comics collector, I've never collected them as an investment. I still don't do anything beyond slipping them in a bag with a board, and filing them in longboxes. I don't even seal the bags. I also don't (anymore) have anything special need to keep original comics (with some exceptions, made at whim) if I can replace them with collected editions.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
In all of my years as a comics collector, I've never collected them as an investment. I still don't do anything beyond slipping them in a bag with a board, and filing them in longboxes. I don't even seal the bags. I also don't (anymore) have anything special need to keep original comics (with some exceptions, made at whim) if I can replace them with collected editions.
The bottomline is whether or not you have a good time doing whatever it is you do with comics. For me collect and invest are interchangeable. The money is just the icing on the cake, and there's lots of it. No brag, just fact!

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In all of my years as a comics collector, I've never collected them as an investment. I still don't do anything beyond slipping them in a bag with a board, and filing them in longboxes. I don't even seal the bags...
I have to tape the bags shut since it's a pain to go through them if the tops of the bags are all hanging over each other. (Yes, I am aware that that's probably a form of OCD. :laugh:)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Never say never.

Since my last post in this thread, the Great Material Continuum has provided with EC Archives, giving me nearly everything I needed in the $30-$60 range, including this morning's "happy 40th to me tomorrow" present of what I thought was the unobtainable Haunt of Fear 1-5 all in one lot.

Down to Vault of Horror 5 to go, and patience has paid off so far.

When they're all safely in and I've finished my Spidey reading from Roger Stern through the Clone Saga, it'll be time for some Entertaining Comics.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Latest sad news...Keith Giffen passed away yesterday at the age of 70 (ack! that's how old I am!) after a stroke.

Known for a lot of things, but for me, the top five would be (in no particular order)

(1) "The Great Darkness Saga" in Legion of Super-Heroes (with Paul Levitz), still in my estimation the best use of Darkseid outside of any of Jack Kirby's books. Maybe even the best use of Darkseid, period.

(2) Writing the very dystopian "Five Years Later" run of the Legion.

(3) The creation of Ambush Bug.

(4) Justice League (International), most especially his Greatest. Moment. Ever. -- the "One Punch" scene.

(5) The change in his art influenced by the work of José Muñoz. A lot of people felt he was out-and-out copying Muñoz, and Giffen eventually said that while he didn't actually copy it, he was so absorbed by Muñoz's style, that it was more akin to unconscious plagiarism. But I don't care about that. What I care about is that because of Giffen, I became a big-time fan of Muñoz, and I will always be grateful for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks