What's new

Combining Two Sources (1 Viewer)

Alex Kelm

Auditioning
:D
..It's my first post.

Anyway,
CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC is what we want to recieve.

They only come in if it's raining.. :thumbsdown:

So I checked "AntennaWeb" and I am only 33 miles or so from CBS (Washington DC DTV).

Well my question to you is there a way to combine two antennas (which we have) into one signal. Like a "Y". Doubling the power of our signal which would result in perfect HDTV. ;)

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Combining an antenna is more than just connecting two. A few guys over at AVS have successfully combined antennas but they had antenna knowledge to begin with and there still were some failures before the final success.

What type/brand of antennas do you have? Are they omni-directional when you need a directional model. Are there large structures near you like buildings or water towers?

-Robert

Alex Kelm

Auditioning
There are only trees near us and our community rules state that we can't install a roof top atenna like the one recommended at AntennaWeb.. We have that same kind I believe in our attic but the attic walls block the reception severely. :-x

John S

Senior HTF Member
The U.S. courts have ruled, they cannot stop you from putting up a roof top antenna. I am virtually possitive about this one....

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless you live in an historic district, the FCC gives you the right to install an antenna up to 1 meter in size and 12 feet above your roofline. That is for each signal you want also. So you can have one antenna for OTA TV and another for wireless internet. You can also put of as many 1 meter satellite dishes as you need. Search here and the web for OTARD.

-Robert

Alex Kelm

Auditioning
Just read that elsewhere..
Unfourtn. It is really cold a.t.m for us to put one up.

We're going to try and put the amplifer downstairs right before it goes into the set top box.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Usually, trying to combine the signals from two antennas will give you a picture that looks like it has lots of interference in it. It depends on what kind of phase shift occurred in one signal as a result of booster amps or cable length, compared with the other.

Generally, homeowners associations may prohibit you from drilling holes in or fastening objects to or going onto or into areas of the building or complex that are not normally available to you. If the roof or other part of the building is maintained and repaired directly by the homeowner's association, chances are that it is off limits to you.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Alex Kelm

Auditioning
Well for now we want to stick to indoor atennas and I want to achieve CBS which is a grade B signal according to DirecTV.. What do you suggest I do?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The 1ST thing I would do is to find out what other people in your area are doing or using. The 2ND thing I would do is call the tv station & see if they can be of any help to you. 3Rd try a Radio Shack in your area & see if they know what people are doing to receive the stations. 4TH if all else fails call some local antenna professionals because even if they can't install an antenna for you they may be of some help on what type of antenna & amps. you should be using even if you don't buy anything from them. If you don't know of any good antenna pro's Radio Shack usually can put you in touch with some & so can the local tv stations. 5TH if you live in a Condo & etc the next thing you should do is reccomend that the board or whoever start to look at a closed Community HDTV system for the entire building or building's for the future unless there just waiting for the local cable company to go HDTV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks