What's new

Coaxial input for TV w/o coaxial input (1 Viewer)

TracyT

Auditioning
I just bought a 42" Hitachi plasma TV that has component video, s-video and composite video inputs, but it does not have a coaxial input. I have my satellite (4dtv/digital decoder)feed piped into this room via coaxial. How can I hook up my satellite to my new TV or am I stuck with DVD input only? I have a Denon A/V Receiver AVR3300 that has component video output and digital coaxial input; however, the coaxial port looks just like a composite video port, not the typical threaded coaxial connector. Can I just use a different connector for the end of my coaxial line? Or what other options are available to hook up my coaxial satellite connection to my TV? Someone has already suggested that I plug my coaxial into a VCR and use the composite/S-video output but I'm wondering if that will degrade the video significantly. Any suggestions?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ming Wang

Agent
the video has already been degrade by using coaxial cable... the best solution is putting the satellite receiver close to your TV, and use component cable to connect sat receiver output to TV input. use S-video if the receiver doesn't have component output.

if you have to use the coaxial cable, you have to use either a VCR, or a device to change RF signal to something your TV can take. the receiver coaxial digital input is for audio only, it doesn't work for your TV coaxial input.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yea, I recently had the same problem with my projector and cable TV service, as my analog cable box only had an RF coax output. I used a VCR to peel off a composite video output + l/r audio (the latter went to my audio controller). Since then, I've upgraded to digital cable that includes a new cable box that has composite/s-video/component video outputs and associated audio outputs. Thus, you do need something that can accept the RF input, provide tuning capability, and peel off the video and audio separately.

Doug

TracyT

Auditioning
Thanks Doug. I'm so bummed. I have a big dish and DSR920 4DTV satellite receiver with HDD220 digital decoder in my media room that's hooked up to a denon receiver via component video and component from there to my 57" HDTV Sony XBR projection TV. It works great and my digital programming is awesome. So next I wanted to be able to pipe my satellite signal to the rest of the house, so we ran RG6 to other rooms using a splitter and voila, there was Sat TV in every room. Then I get the smart idea to buy a plasma tv for my bedroom...2 floors away from the media room. S-video and Component runs that long just don't make sense. Hey, I suppose I could buy another dig. decoder and then I would have the digital signals as well as analog in the bedroom! Does this sound doable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks